Pullets laying few short weeks - 2 bleeding?

This is cage that has housed the six ISAs since Sept 9 for biosecurity.

Past time to begin integration but hesitating; what are my risks?

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_175504_807.jpg
    IMG_20221011_175504_807.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20221011_175514_688.jpg
    IMG_20221011_175514_688.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221011_175525_387.jpg
    IMG_20221011_175525_387.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 2
Six birds in a small cage for 30 days isolation, four appear healthy but have not done close inspection.

No rats present in my local area. Cage is on legs 3' high, rebuilt 5 weeks ago with new HC, reinforcing 2 x 4s, solid plywood floor. Only way in is to remove one end that is held by screws.

@Wyorp Rock Always learning new things to watch for and how to react. I will look more closely at the carcasses this morning and report back. Thank you.

@Wyorp Rock to me looks like two different causes? Is the Pic with egg what is referred to as "egg bound"?
Interesting the egg was able to been seen, but if she was unable to expel it, it could have caused her to die. Egg binding is a crisis that needs to be dealt with as soon as you notice. Hens are good at hiding things, so it's not always detected early enough.

The other one. Possibly she prolapsed at some point. I wonder is she may have had trouble with an egg too.

There's always risks when introducing new birds from an outside source. You've had them separated out for 30days or so. This would give you ample time to observe them for any respiratory disease symptoms, external parasites, etc. Not to say they are disease free and carry something or that they can pick up something from your existing flock, but this is the best you can do.

I’m sorry for your loss. Chickens in too close of quarters can cannibalize each other, and vent pecking is common. Certain breeds may be more aggressive, but overcrowding, too little protein, and not getting outside to free range are some causes.Here is a good article about common causes of vent pecking and cannibalism:
https://extension.psu.edu/poultry-cannibalism-prevention-and-treatment

I am perplexed. None of the three had loss of feathers or other signs of molestation that I saw. Even the vents shows minimal damage to my novice eyes.

When I think "cannibalize" I automatically think it would be more physically obvious. What does being pecked to death look like?

Hard to say if it's cannibalism that killed them or something else and the vent packing happened after the fact.
I guess if one last one survives......
Good question Ted, hard to know for sure.
As @aart mentioned hard to tell if the damage was done after the fact or...

Seeing how this last one does may reveal something.

Back
Top Bottom