Pullets laying few short weeks - 2 bleeding?

I received 6 ready to lay on Sept 9th, all now laying. 2 are showing fresh blood around their vents.

What's up, how do I proceed?

Thank you.
Add photos.. Of the birds and your set up.. bloody vents is often caused by pecking/boredom.

Coccidiosis doesn't usually leave vents bloody even when pure blood is being pooped out.

It is not uncommon though for new layers to have too large of eggs and leave a little blood behind on the egg from vessels rupturing as it passes.

A fourth pullet has died, same symptoms although this time I have kept a close eye on how events proceeded. A fifth pullet is now being subjected to the same pecking process and I expect her to die within the next 24 hours.

That will leave what I assume is the dominant one, I will cull her as I do not want to transfer this problem into my existing flock.

The process is very quick - 24-48 hours max. Guessing that they bleed out overnight as they are alive but bleeding in the evening and dead in the morning. If one is unprepared/inexperienced easy to be mystified about what is going on. In my case there was no evidence other than bleeding at the vent and as noted the process does not take very long.

As to cause I would have to say too long in a confined space. The cage I have is 8' by 5' by 3' high so 40 sq ft. I have previously used the same cage for 7 ISA ready to lay pullets for several weeks without problems; also for 11 grown Barred Rocks without issue. In the current situation I elevated the cage to deter predators; previously the cage was on the grass and would be tarped each night; for the Rocks the cage was inside the garage (just trying to highlight differences not pointing to these as the cause).

I am now trying to decide on future circumstances. I caged them as a bio-security step and would want to do the same with any future birds but clearly do not want to go through this again. I am thinking about constructing a set of single cages but envision possible problems with as well.

I will note that my incubation process is working well; 4 weeks in a brooder and then into the coop behind a HC wall under the drop boards with small doors that allow the chicks in/out but too small for full grown birds.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Last edited:
The fifth pullet is now showing a creamy colored discharge in a line from top to bottom of the vent similar to 1st Pic in post 10 above. Her condition started with fresh blood from pecking (I assume), none showing now.

I tried for a picture but she was not cooperating, will try again later and post.
I'd get her in a crate asap, to see what develops without any butteaters.

Six birds in a small cage for 30 days isolation, four appear healthy but have not done close inspection.

No rats present in my local area. Cage is on legs 3' high, rebuilt 5 weeks ago with new HC, reinforcing 2 x 4s, solid plywood floor. Only way in is to remove one end that is held by screws.

@Wyorp Rock Always learning new things to watch for and how to react. I will look more closely at the carcasses this morning and report back. Thank you.

@Wyorp Rock to me looks like two different causes? Is the Pic with egg what is referred to as "egg bound"?
Interesting the egg was able to been seen, but if she was unable to expel it, it could have caused her to die. Egg binding is a crisis that needs to be dealt with as soon as you notice. Hens are good at hiding things, so it's not always detected early enough.

The other one. Possibly she prolapsed at some point. I wonder is she may have had trouble with an egg too.

There's always risks when introducing new birds from an outside source. You've had them separated out for 30days or so. This would give you ample time to observe them for any respiratory disease symptoms, external parasites, etc. Not to say they are disease free and carry something or that they can pick up something from your existing flock, but this is the best you can do.

A third bird has died, same symptoms fresh blood showing around vent. All have started to lay.

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_161226_725.jpg
    IMG_20221012_161226_725.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221012_161325_396.jpg
    IMG_20221012_161325_396.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221012_161328_048.jpg
    IMG_20221012_161328_048.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 2
I have seen pecking but random not aggressive.

Eggs are small for ISAs; laying 2-3 weeks only.

Dull day here, pictures not great.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_160339_685.jpg
    IMG_20221007_160339_685.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20221007_160320_904.jpg
    IMG_20221007_160320_904.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom