1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets or Roos? UPDATED PICS-Post 25, Pg 3. Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jschaaff, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    **UPDATED PICS IN POST 25, Page 3. THANK YOU!!**

I have 8, 4 week old chicks that I am unsure of breed and gender on.

My roosters are Columbian Rocks (Mutts possibly), and my various hens are as follows:

New Hampshire Red
    White Araucana
    Brown Araucana
    Brown Ameraucana
    Silver-Laced Wyandotte
    Mottle Java
    Barred Rock
    Buff Brahma
    Golden Comet

One is a barred rock roo for sure, so I didn't include any pics of him, but here are the others. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jessa

A. This is Boston. Thought he/she had a pea comb, but it is starting to get pointy. Still the comb is very small. Also thought easter egger...but a little thrown off by the pointy comb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

B. This is Evelyn. Was hoping she was a pullet, but thinking roo [​IMG] Very large, def rules the roost in this tiny flock. Constantly challenging everyone...I think evelyn is an evan. Pea comb, No clue on breed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C. This is Houston.. my tiniest chick, way smaller than all the rest. Regular comb and her/his comb is getting BIG.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D. This is Philadelphia. I think an easter egger...he/she has a pea comb

[​IMG]

This is Philadelphia and Paris (Philly is on the right)
    [​IMG]

E. This is Paris. Regular comb, looks like a much bigger version of Houston.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F. This this is New York. New York is my baby, please please say pullet. Regular comb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G. This is Concord. He/she is a much lighter version of Philadelphia and has a pea comb.

[​IMG]

I know they may be too young, but again, any help would be great! Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they all got some big thick legs but Boston. But they are still young so maybe not all are roos, but I think Boston is a girl maybe

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Quote:x2
    i think pari is a girl two but im almost sure new york is a boy:oops:

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those legs are ginormous! Seems like a lot of Roos. I think your girls may be outnumbered.

5. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Oh yes, those legs having been bothering me! Paris and Boston seem to have the smallest legs, but the others legs are absolutely huge. I having a feeling I'm going to end up with six, maybe 7 boys! Which is sad because these are the friendliest sweetest chicks ever and I'm in love, but I just can't keep the roos [​IMG] Fingers crossed... maybe I've just got a few manly looking females [​IMG]

6. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Sooooo I may have a bunch of boys... any ideas from anyone on the breeds of these babies?

Thanks!
    Jessa

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if they are breed from your flock then they are all mixed breed birds including the one that you say is a barred rock...it will also have the Columbian Rock mixed in it

i cant tell at this age what they are though

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:A Plymouth Rock bred to a Plymouth Rock would not be a mixed breed regardless of color. If both parents are the same breed, the offspring will be the same breed.

I have to agree with everyone else... There are a lot of really thick legs in those pics. It's hard to say on breeds until we see how they develop a bit more.

9. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    This is my little guy I'm calling a barred rock. His name is Big Poppa.

As a baby:

[​IMG]

And at 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]

If I have to give him up, I will certainly let his new owner know that his momma was a barred, and daddy was a columbian rock.

I know the other chicks are all mixed breeds too, I am just wondering which one might've come from which momma.

Thanks everyone.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st pic looks like a girl to me
    2nd looks pullet
    3rd looks pullet
    4th looks pullet
    5th looks roo
    6th looks roo
    7th looks pullet

im not going by leg size since my roo chick has smaller legs than my pullet does...also some of my families roos have smaller legs than the pullets do...i go by the size of their combs the roos i have all raised had their combs and waddles come in before the pullets and they were also huge lol

is there some brownish feathers on your barreds neck or is that just the lighting he looks so pretty

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by