Pullets or Roos? UPDATED PICS-Post 25, Pg 3. Pic Heavy

Jschaaff

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
New Hampshire
**UPDATED PICS IN POST 25, Page 3. THANK YOU!!**

I have 8, 4 week old chicks that I am unsure of breed and gender on.

My roosters are Columbian Rocks (Mutts possibly), and my various hens are as follows:

New Hampshire Red
White Araucana
Brown Araucana
Brown Ameraucana
Silver-Laced Wyandotte
Mottle Java
Barred Rock
Buff Brahma
Golden Comet

One is a barred rock roo for sure, so I didn't include any pics of him, but here are the others. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jessa

A. This is Boston. Thought he/she had a pea comb, but it is starting to get pointy. Still the comb is very small. Also thought easter egger...but a little thrown off by the pointy comb.

boston.jpg

boston2.jpg

B. This is Evelyn. Was hoping she was a pullet, but thinking roo
sad.png
Very large, def rules the roost in this tiny flock. Constantly challenging everyone...I think evelyn is an evan. Pea comb, No clue on breed.

evelyn2.jpg

evelyn.jpg

C. This is Houston.. my tiniest chick, way smaller than all the rest. Regular comb and her/his comb is getting BIG.

houston.jpg

houston2.jpg

D. This is Philadelphia. I think an easter egger...he/she has a pea comb

philly.jpg

This is Philadelphia and Paris (Philly is on the right)
parisandphiladelphia.jpg

E. This is Paris. Regular comb, looks like a much bigger version of Houston.

paris4.jpg

paris3.jpg

F. This this is New York. New York is my baby, please please say pullet. Regular comb.

ny.jpg

ny2.jpg

G. This is Concord. He/she is a much lighter version of Philadelphia and has a pea comb.

concord.jpg

I know they may be too young, but again, any help would be great! Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh yes, those legs having been bothering me! Paris and Boston seem to have the smallest legs, but the others legs are absolutely huge. I having a feeling I'm going to end up with six, maybe 7 boys! Which is sad because these are the friendliest sweetest chicks ever and I'm in love, but I just can't keep the roos
sad.png
Fingers crossed... maybe I've just got a few manly looking females
tongue.png

if they are breed from your flock then they are all mixed breed birds including the one that you say is a barred rock...it will also have the Columbian Rock mixed in it

i cant tell at this age what they are though

Last edited:
Quote:
A Plymouth Rock bred to a Plymouth Rock would not be a mixed breed regardless of color. If both parents are the same breed, the offspring will be the same breed.

I have to agree with everyone else... There are a lot of really thick legs in those pics. It's hard to say on breeds until we see how they develop a bit more.

This is my little guy I'm calling a barred rock. His name is Big Poppa.

As a baby:

DSC08660-1.jpg

And at 4 weeks old.

bigpoppa.jpg

If I have to give him up, I will certainly let his new owner know that his momma was a barred, and daddy was a columbian rock.

I know the other chicks are all mixed breeds too, I am just wondering which one might've come from which momma.

Thanks everyone.

1st pic looks like a girl to me
2nd looks pullet
3rd looks pullet
4th looks pullet
5th looks roo
6th looks roo
7th looks pullet

im not going by leg size since my roo chick has smaller legs than my pullet does...also some of my families roos have smaller legs than the pullets do...i go by the size of their combs the roos i have all raised had their combs and waddles come in before the pullets and they were also huge lol

is there some brownish feathers on your barreds neck or is that just the lighting he looks so pretty

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom