Pullets won't come out of coop

JPJewell

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
Hello all. Just joined BYC. Yesterday we brought home our four pullets, mixed breed. They were raised with lots of the breeders handling, but have been inside their thirteen weeks. We put them in the roosting house and they haven't moved. There is water in coop, but I don't think they've drank. The door to the run is open,but they haven't even peeked out. Don't know whether to spend time in run, talk to them, or just wait. At what point do I get worried? Thanks. John

They are most likely stressed from the move and are trying to get accustomed to their new home.
If you can just go sit in a chair in the run, read a book or magazine out loud so they get used to your voice. Have fresh water and food where they can find it. Don't attempt to touch them, just talk to them. They may come out to see what's going on. They do need to at least have some water, so make sure they are drinking. It may take a little time and patience, but they should come around.

When we first put our chicks in the coop, the run wasn't finished. After about 2 or 3 weeks we opened the pop door expecting them to rush out, excited to be outdoors. Well, they didn't! It took several days for them to venture out. Chickens don't like change but they'll come around.

Thanks all. My wife finally thought they might be afraid because the coop door was open. Once she closed the door to run, they left the roost and scratched around the floor for food and drank. A couple hours later she opened the door and one at a time they came out over a period of a few hours. Having been raised inside, now a couple of them are trying to figure how to fly out of the run... which is covered so no dice :)

Good to hear. They will be out and about ruling the run and demanding treats, goodies and more in no time.
I think you will enjoy them very much. Mine "talk" a lot when I am around, to me it's a joyful sound.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom