Pumpkin questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momofchicks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    It's pumpkin carving time and I think I saw that our chickens can eat the seeds. Okay, do we just give them all the insides of the pumpkin fresh out of the pumpkin? Does any of it need to be cooked?
    Thanks

Edited to ask: I only have 8 chickens, how much pumpkin guts and seeds can I give them? Do I give it all in one day or spread it out over a week or what? We carved 3 pumpkins and I saved everything in a freezer bag.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Fresh or cooked is fine. Mine love the seeds, ignore the meat.

3. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    I got a co-worker give me the seeds from her pumpkin carving (my kids are grown up and out of the house, so we don't carve anymore:() and my chickies looked at me like I was trying to poison them! The looked at the seeds. Looked at me. Pecked at the seeds (but didn't pick any up). Looked back at me indignantly. The seeds are still sitting in the dish 3 days later.

How do you get your chickens to be more adventurous in their foods?

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I love to get pumpkins when they go on sale. Wal-mart will sell them for $1 each. I just throw them on the ground to break them. My chickens love them.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Glad I ran across this post today! We are having a pumpkin carving party today and I was hoping I could just throw the gunk in the run for the chickens. We have two little kids who are coming today and want to feed the chickens so bad. This will be perfect [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If your seeds seem to be a little big for them, you can chop them up a bit and then feed them.

7. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    put the guts with the seeds or half the gourd....it makes a nice water dish if it rains too!

8. Aisle12Farms

Aisle12Farms Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    We carved three pumpkins and brought the "ugly insides" to the chickens. It was a FEEDING FRENZY! They adored the treat...within the hour, they ate all the seeds/meat. I have read that the pumpkin seeds are a natural de-wormer too. Now that's what I call a perfect treat.[​IMG]

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Mine eat it like mana from heaven ! I grow and store squash and pumpkins just for them.

Henry

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Oh yes, it was a feeding frenzy yesterday! The chickens were wild for the pumpkin - ate every last bite. There are still a few seeds in the run, but I'm sure they will be gone soon. I bagged up 3 gallon size baggies of pumpkin guts for them to have this week too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by