Pumpkins and pumpkin seeds

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I have a little pumpkin I got for my banties and I am wondering if I should bake it and give it to them? Or give it to them raw? Should I chop the seeds up? Can they overdose on it?

Pumpkin and squash are great treats...cooked or raw. The seeds are good for them too.

I just cut the pumpkin or squash in half and let them have at it.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of pumpkins! My "kids" say thank you!
big_smile.png

We have an abundance of squash and gourds of all colors this year. DH has been throwing one in the run every day and they love it!

Oh, and this year instead of letting the giant pumpkins go to rot I'm going to toss them chunked up in the freezer and give them to my chickens all winter.

i guess mine get too much food,, they eat the pumkins,, but not like CRAZY as everybody's elses,, it takes em 2 days between them all to finish off a SMALL one
sad.png

maybe letting them go a week with no kitchen scraps will help,, lol

Natural Wormers

Ground raw hulled Pumpkin Seeds are a good natural wormer. There is a coating on the seed that paralyzes the worm and then the worm can be expelled by the digestive action of the gut. It is good to feed something that will cause the animal to have a slight diaherea (flush) like molasses or skim milk about an hour or two after the seeds have been eaten.

Carrots, if the cell stucture of the carrot is broken down like in a juicer will do, also help get rid of worms.
got this from groups.msn.com/limitedpoultry/aboutwormers.msnw

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom