purch for my chickens.

ColletteGB

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 21, 2013
Hampshire Uk
I have made a Purch outside for my hens...it's been two weeks know and thay only seem to lick off the rain from the Purch..Why do thay Not like it ????

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. That’s an old saying that seems to apply to your situation.

I don’t know what your situation is or what that perch looks like, but so far they just don’t want to use it. I don’t know if it is weather related, mine seem to enjoy perching outside on calm sunny days. They certainly don’t like a cold wind.

Since you called them hens, I’ll assume they are old enough to get up there. If you have Silkies or some that can’t fly or see well, they may have some problems related to that. My full-sized dual purpose chickens have no problems getting up to a five foot high roost, so yours is probably not too high.

I’ve had grown chickens try to perch on a 3/8” thick piece of plywood I use for a door. They usually don’t stay on that very long, but they go back to it. A more comfortable thickness is probably 1” thick or greater. It’s possible for some reason it’s just not that comfortable.

Some more dominant chickens seem to like to perch just for fun, but a lot of that behavior is that chickens lower in the pecking order perch to get out of the way of bullies. There are social aspects to perching; maybe yours are too laid back for that to be a factor.

Chickens don’t have to perch. They will not get sick or have any health problems if they don’t. It’s good of you to provide them that option, but you can’t make them use it if they don’t want to. It’s very likely someday you’ll see them up there catching some rays and surveying their domain, but that will be when they are ready, not before.

Thank you for your help...Thay like to sit on my garden bench also on thier coop at the moment the pitch is a wooden curtain pole but I do have thin wooden post I may try them with that ..it is raining so much here thay are all staying in the coop ha ha...horrible for my girls

Back
Top Bottom