Purina layena and mold issues?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Have no clue whether this is valid or not, but found this link regarding mold in Purina Layena. I feed Flockraiser pellets (since October which is about the time I started having health issues with a couple of my drakes that I thought we attributable to molting). Anyone heard anything about this or had any trouble?

I don't feed that type of feed, but you can save yourself a lot of potential problems if you will get into the habit of sniffing every bag of feed that you open. Anything with a moldy, musty, or "off" smell should go right back to the feed store.

That won't catch 100% of problem feed, but it will catch a lot of it before it gets to your birds.

I hope your drakes recover. If you think it is the feed, try a different feed. No point in taking risks with health.

You should also learn to decipher the date of manufacture that Purina puts on the top white part of the bag (where you pull the string) so that you can decide whether or not to even take the feed home from the store. This can prevent you from contaminating any feed you may have left at home if the age of the feed is questionable. Some stores cannot be relied upon to rotate their stock like they should, no matter what brand they carry.

[[[[......Blues, what do you feed?.....]]]]

I buy "turkey" feed from a local mill. Whole grain wheat and soybean with vitamins and mineral ground and pressed into a pellet. It's 20%. Then they get oyster shell because the feed doesn't have any added calcium. I don't have a lot of feed options around here. Nothing sold is made for ducks.

Then my ducks get greens and fruit. Rarely, they get a small amount of whole grain bread. They refuse to eat white bread. I add a pinch of flax seed to their feeder.

In summer, they get all the greenery and bugs they can harvest. There's nothing but bare ground around here in winter, so in winter, they get a small amount of dry cat food for their animal protein. Every now and again, I crush up a niacin tablet and add it to their water.

I'd rather feed a complete feed made for ducks, but can't get any. My ducks all look good, feathers are so hard and well oiled that the ducks feel like they are armor plated. I have to be careful of their weight. They would very much like to be too fat, so I weigh their food to control their intake.

The geese are on the same sort of diet. They aren't bug eaters, but they still get the cat food and love it.

I've bought grass pellets and alfalfa pellets, but neither the ducks nor the geese will eat them. Collard greens are a huge hit, though.

Back
Top Bottom