Purina Layena Plus Omega

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone tried the Purina Layena Plus Omega pellets? I just made the change two days ago from using a feed from a local mill. My girls don't know what to think of it. The feed they had before was crushed and this is pellet form. I like the idea of it because with the crushed we ended up throwing some out because it was just dust and they wouldn't eat that.

Any flavor difference in the eggs? After I purchased it I remembered purchasing Land o Lakes Omega eggs one time and having them tasting fishy. Any fishy taste in the eggs from this feed?

When you have feed dust, in the bottom of a bin, let's say, there is no need to throw it out. Feed it too expensive. Just mix the dust into table scraps or just put enough water into it and stir. Makes a porridge that most birds really love.

OK, now back to your questions.
smile.png

I think the Purina is vegetarian, so you shouldn't have any fishy taste.

Last edited:
I use it and love it! It doesn't make as much of a mess than with the crumbles and it is less wasted. The eggs our hens give us taste great! I've heard a lot of good things about Purina Layena Plus Omega! Hope your girls love it, too!

When you have feed dust, in the bottom of a bin, let's say, there is no need to throw it out. Feed it too expensive. Just mix the dust into table scraps or just put enough water into it and stir. Makes a porridge that most birds really love.

OK, now back to your questions.
smile.png

I think the Purina is vegetarian, so you shouldn't have any fishy taste.
Thank you for the helpful hint. I have been tossing away so much dust because they wouldn't touch it. Good to know.

I use it and love it! It doesn't make as much of a mess than with the crumbles and it is less wasted. The eggs our hens give us taste great! I've heard a lot of good things about Purina Layena Plus Omega! Hope your girls love it, too!
I hope they do too. So far they just don't know what to think of it probably because it's different??? But glad to hear your eggs taste great. That will help me justify the price difference. Hahaha

I've been using the Purena Start & Grow crumbles since I got my first batch of chicks, but I haven't switched to the Layena because only two of my seven are laying. That being said, with the crumbles, I found the best way was to make it fermented feed. My girls absolutely love it and rush to the bowl when I feed them. Their poop looks and smells better, too. All of the powder goes through the filter bucket and in to the slosh bucket, so when I do my quarterly cleaning of the buckets, I take all the really fine powdered sludge and put that in their dish. They devour that like it's the ultimate treat. I would assume that the pellets were still turn in to the same fermented mash that the crumbles do.

I've been using the Purena Start & Grow crumbles since I got my first batch of chicks, but I haven't switched to the Layena because only two of my seven are laying. That being said, with the crumbles, I found the best way was to make it fermented feed. My girls absolutely love it and rush to the bowl when I feed them. Their poop looks and smells better, too. All of the powder goes through the filter bucket and in to the slosh bucket, so when I do my quarterly cleaning of the buckets, I take all the really fine powdered sludge and put that in their dish. They devour that like it's the ultimate treat. I would assume that the pellets were still turn in to the same fermented mash that the crumbles do.
I ferment chick starter (crumbles), layer pellets, and whole grains. The pellets break down, just like the crumbles. No difference what so ever.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom