Purina Poultry Feeds- Yes? No?

thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to be looking at what's there tomorrow, and they said they are going to have "nutrition experts" for all the different feeds there as well, so hopefully one will be there for the chickens too.
smile.png
I figure buy one, get one free, yes please!!!! now to figure out what they've got for my horsey... LOL.

We feed all of our bantams the purina sunfresh start and grow.They are fed this feed their entire lives.I dont use the layena or any other laying combination.I usually hatch between 200 and 250 chicks each year so it works for me.I do mix in a few things for the birds I am conditioning for show but thats it.

I've also fed Purina over 4 years now. Start and Grow to the chicks and then Flock Raiser for all. I used to have more BCM hens and they just didn't do well on the Layena's protein but bloomed on the Flock Raiser so I switched all to that and keep the oyster shell out in a baby pig feeder in all the coops.
I add a five way scratch, add organic golden flax seeds, and also use the Ultra Kibble or Calf Manna mixed in the scratch, especially during molts.

When I first got chickens I tried a bit of everything for the first year and always came back to Purina.

I have fed purina and also blue seal. I don't recommend the blue seal chicken starter. It's ground to dust and the chickens go through a 50lb bag in a week because they eat it like candy. I am lucky though that my state has a brand called Poulin that is made within the state and it's very good. They have starter and grower and flock raiser but they have something called egg production plus for when they start laying to make sure they and any babies are healthy as well as the eggs being really good to eat. So I am sticking with them, but if they fell off the earth I would feed Purina again.

Chickens are omnivores. They'll eat anything they like, just like us. Try it. If they like it, fine. I'm sure if it's for the proper stage of your chicken's life it's nutritiously sound. I'd keep some of your old food on hand if the new food causes issues, switch back immediately.

I haven't heard you're worried about organic or soy free, etc. so I'll stop here. Good luck!

Quote:
I don't quite understand this - isn't the vaccination for Marek's Disease? Medicated feed is for the prevention of coccidosis, an entirely different problem.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's what I understood about the vaccinations.

You can get vacc for more than just marek's, it just depends on the hatchery. If you vacc for cocci then it's not good against all the different strains and if you use med feed in conjunction with it, they will only block each other out and not do the chix any good. So basically it is better to use the med feed and not get the cocci vacc.

yes that is what i said in my above post lol

well, i got me 150 lbs of chicken food for $30 today! ... now what to do with 150 lbs of chicken food... i've only got a couple chickens, LOL. but hey, ends up being $10 a bag, how can i say no???

I just got the purina start and grow and it looks more like crumbles where as the brand (forgot the name)I just finished up was more like cornmeal than crumbles. Will the crumbles be ok for new baby chicks? I figure my 4-5 week olds can handle it but not sure about the newbies. Also when do you get the Mareks vacc? Both my feeds are med. btw. And I have had no problems at all with my first batch of chicks, all 10 red stars. I couldn't resist getting some black austrolorps chicks though, so cute and I heard how great they are.

Back
Top Bottom