Purple comb on rooster.

Any idea why this guy’s comb would be turning purple off and on? Not cold enough for frost bite. Seems normal otherwise. I don’t think it’s an injury.
View attachment 2862897
Frostbite is the main factor for a purple comb, or he may have a "cold", this can also cause a purple tone to their combs, but if he acts normal, and his breathing is okay, I wouldn't worry too much. :)

My sister's rooster used to turn purple. His face and comb when he was mad or was fighting to be held. But, I think it was more than that because he passed due to some respiratory issue sadly. Even though we treated him.
I wasn't addressing the layer feed. Just the protein percentage.
OH, oops. :oops:
My mistake. No hard feelings?

Last edited:
Frostbite is the main factor for a purple comb, or he may have a "cold", this can also cause a purple tone to their combs, but if he acts normal, and his breathing is okay, I wouldn't worry too much. :)

My sister's rooster used to turn purple. His face and comb when he was mad or was fighting to be held. But, I think it was more that because he passed due to some respiratory issue sadly. Even though we treated him.

OH, oops. :oops:
My mistake. No hard feelings?
Of course not! No worries.

Can you recall the 70s and "mood rings"? They were supposed to change color according to your mood. Roosters' combs are a lot like mood rings. Depending on how they feel emotionally, excited, stressed, relaxed, etc, their comb color can change with the tips appearing purplish, sometimes bleeding down into the lower comb. It usually returns to a normal red in mere minutes.

A rooster with circulation issues or a heart and lung condition will have a dark comb all over, not just the tips.

Frostbite causes the comb to go white, not purple, as tissues freeze and lose the blood supply as it is drawn in toward the body's core.

Normal, healthy comb color is a dusky red. If you ever see a bright cherry red or fire engine red comb, it means the chicken has a fever or body temp is elevated above normal. It means the chicken should be immediately moved to a cooler environment or examined for other signs of illness so they can be treated.

Back
Top Bottom