Purple Skin on Duck's Rear?

Poultry Girl04

Chirping
Apr 7, 2018
Hello! I have a female Anconna duck with two other hens and one drake. She has developed a low, sagging section on her rear within the last year. Doing some research, I thought it was just part of her anatomy. I discovered that it could simply be an egg sac, meaning she lays eggs often, and, sometimes larger than normal. That being said I wasn't concerned until recently. Because the area that sags tends to sweep the ground, she lost all feathers on this portion of her body. Also, her feet scratch the sides, creating a small section on both the left and right side of her body that gets yellow and somewhat infected. After putting some bacitracin on it for a few days, this disappears. I would do this on and off as needed. Normally, she would not be herself if I had to treat her, but, once it went away, she was back to herself again -- walking around and quacking with the rest of the girls. When I went to put them up for bed tonight, I was happy to see her quacking as usual. I thought she was doing better, but then I picked her up to find the underside of her belly blue, purple, and even slightly green. I am not sure what is wrong with her. She seems normal-ish in that she doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know ducks hide pain well. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Held.jpg
    Held.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Standing.jpg
    Standing.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 12
How old is she? I've never seen anything like this. Is the skin oozing? How long have her feathers been rubbed? off just wondering if her feathers may have been protecting her skin and now that they're gone her skin is being bruised up. How does that sagging part feel squishy, hard?

@Isaac 0 have you ever seen this?

Last edited:
She is two years and four months old. The skin is not oozing anywhere, and there is nothing that would be abnormal other than the color and the size of the rear. The feathers have been rubbed off for around 6 months now. I assumed it was simply because she was dragging on the ground. Her skin started changing to yellow occasionally (on and off -- I would use the bacitracin to help it go back to a normal color) about 2 months ago on the sides. I think the yellow coloration is from her scratching the sides of her skin as she moves about. It only just turned these purple and blue colors yesterday evening, though. The sagging area feels soft and has always felt that way, which, from what I can tell based on research, should be a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom