Put in a screened picture window lol

May 19, 2018
Lynden,Wa
Made a change to the coop we built. I put a screened picture window(31x18) in for the girls. I felt it needed more ventilation, especially with the higher than normal temps we are having. Nothing like others but still hot to us. Hope they like it, they haven't been in it yet. But when they do go they will find it is much better on temp & air flow.
20180713_105533.jpg

Was hoping the girls would like the new window. They hadn't been in the coop since I did it. Just looked and they are on their roost turned to where they can see out. Just have to think about how I will close up most of it for the winter. Thinking of leaving a 5x31 opening for the winter ventilation.

Had to giggle at hubby. He says the chickens are mine(yeah right lol), but when he got home from work, he had stopped and bought a heavy duty 10x12 tarp to cover the whole run. Big enough to go down half the sunny side of the run. Brown on one side & silver on the other side. He said we'll put the silver side up so it reflects the sun away. We are not as hot as a lot of the country, but they are saying mid to upper 80's for the next 4 days, which is high for us. We have high humdity. Have ice blocks and frozen pureed pumpkin ready. He had also ordered a heated waterer for the winter for them, it arrived yesterday.
The run is done with pvc pipe, dog exercise pens and welded wire on top, with the tarp over the top. We have the new run plans using the 1/2 hardware cloth on frames. Here is what the run looks like right now with the new tarp shade cover.
20180713_180138.jpg

We put styrofoam over window then plastic ,and we shut the shutters

And by the way the “ curtains” on nesting boxes aren’t for curb appeal the hens like a dark place to lay , it’s true .we spray painted the insides of our boxes black too

We covered 2 out of 6 they all laid behind the plaid curtains !!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom