Putting chicks under a broody ?'s

rubyrogue

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Hello, I have 2 broodies right now. The first one started and it seems to be contagious. I want to put some chicks under them, what is the minimum amount of time they can sit and accept chicks? I don't want to rush them but they are taking up two of my 3 boxes. I have tried moving them, short of putting them in a different pen they go right back to the nest they were on. I have done it at night, i have put fake eggs under them..... I dont want to break them but do i need to wait the full 21 days? Will they accept them after a week? two weeks?
Also the nests they are in are about 16inches maybe a little less up the wall. If they wont let me move them how will the chicks get down will i have to build a ramp?

Can you section a small area off inside your coop for broodies... thats what I've done. Got a Momma and her 5 chickies in it right now. How long have your girls been broody? I dont know how long you should wait, would be interesting to know.

I tried she wont sit anywhere but that one box. She paces until she can get back to it.

I just had a hen hatch out 5 chickies over the weekend... she was in a high nest box, after 4 of the eggs hatched I moved her, 4 chickies and the last egg to a next box in my brooder, she sat on them and hatched the last egg, they are all doing great in the brooder, I was just out visiting with them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom