Pyle Wyandottes

They dont seem to exist her in the US that I know of. There is a breeder in UK that is working on them.
The biggest hurdle here in the US to creating them is having a quality Black Breasted Red Wyandotte to start with. Partridge are similar in the males to BB Reds but not the females.
Not to put the cart in front of the horse but someone needs to produce a true BB Red Wyandotte so we could then have pyle off of that. BB Red is a accepted color in Bantam Wyandottes in the ABA. To say they exist is a stretch, there may be one or two breeders out there who might have some but I seriously doubt it.

Okay that makes sense. I just saw a picture of these on Feathersite and thought they looked to be an interesting variety that I had not seen before. From my research, i cannot find any info on either the Pyle or the Black Breasted Red, so I guess it was a long shot. Thank you for that information.

Yep They may be in the UK, but I bet that even what they are calling Pyle and Lemon Pyle in the UK are probably based on Partridge instead of BBRed like they should be, like WyandotteTX said, the roos would look pretty much the same, but the hens have some differnces especially in the breast. I plan to hopefully work towards Lemon Partridge Wyandotte bantams here soon.

I had read a previous post regarding the Pyle and it noted that the Pyle Wyandotte consisted of a cross between a Partridge Wyandotte and a Pyle Leghorn. In regard to Pyle Leghorn, would that include a Red leghorn over a White Leghorn hen?

It would start with a white leghorn crossed with a brown leghorn ( Brown leghorns are the BBRed aka Red Duckwing color that Red Pyle is based on, Red Pyle is BBRed that is diluted with Dominant white) So I dont think which is the mother and which is the father is important, you would just breed once to the white leghorn to get the domiant white and then breed the white patterned birds back the the pure brown leghorns for a few generations to get the right color.

With the Pyle Wyandottes, they may have crossed to a Pyle Leghorn to get the dominant white patterning, but they would have had to make SEVERAL crosses back to Partridge Wyandottes to get the Wyandotte type and then it would be more of a Partridge Pyle istead of a true Red Pyle.

You're Welcome What prodject are you thinking about ? Pyle leghorns or Pyle Wyandottes ? If you are thinking Pyle Wyandottes, good luck finding some good quality LF Partridge Wyandottes to work with, Pauls Poultry has them but they are a bit too pricey and they are sold out and I orders some eggs from Duane Urch and none of them even started forming. That was my plan to get some good LF Partridge Wyandottes and make the LF Lemon Partridge Wyandottes, but since those eggs didnt work out and I have some Partridge Wyandotte bantam eggs setting now I am just going to do them with bantam Wyandottes.

Good luck with what ever you decide though

Last edited:
My original idea was based on the Pyle Wyandottes. I am a novice in regard to genetics and considered undertaking a project to attempt to learn more about developing breed variations. I do not have a "for sure" project in mind, but rather am looking for one to further my knowledge and to cut my teeth at genetics. I was not sure exactly where to start.

Also, I thought project birds might open a door for me to expand into more breeds.

Last edited:
OH Ok well like I said, finding good quality Partridge Wyandottes to would be the tricky part and with using Partridge, since we dont have Red Duckwing Wyandottes here in the US, they wouldnt be true pyles but more corectly called Lemon Partridge. But if you wanted to do real Red Pyle Leghorns, those should be super easy since you are using the same breed and dont have to out cross to another breed to get back to the right type, with that project, at any point you are you would still have pure Leghorns ya know, you'd just have to breed a few generations back to the Brown Leghorns to get the right Red Pyle coloring. But that would give you an easy way to get your feet wet with genetics and give you a pretty bird that should be great layers, I'm surprised that no one has already made them her in the US.

Back
Top Bottom