Pyle Wyandottes

austin.ray22 :

Wyandotte TX- If you only have 2 of the WLR Bantams, are you currently breeding these birds?

I have two very old hens left. They do both still lay pretty well but I am in need of male. I have beat the bushes a little trying to find one but dont think they can be had. So plan B is to find a Golden Laced male to breed to them. I talked to an old wyandotte geneticist years ago who said it was possible to cross GL and WLR with each other and it would improve the ground color of the WLR. I did this in the past and it did greatly improve the color and lacing within the WLR. The offspring from this cross usually runs about 60/40 GL/WLR. SO, next up for me is to either find an adult GL male to use. I do have about a dozen young GL growing out currently, hopefully I will get a decent male and the old girls will make it thru the summer. If those two things happen I will try and hatch out as many as I can this fall from the two hens. Like I said the variety is barely hanging on right now...
Crossing with a dark BLR male would most likely give me the same 60/40 offspring also, but those arent easy to find either.
I didnt say so but I am referring to all bantams also.
If you look back thru the Wyandotte thread there are some pics of the first WLR I obtained about 15 years ago. The pic will at least give you an idea of what they look like. Lots of people want to call the splash from the BLR cross WLR but true WLR are very white where as splash BLR are very dusky looking.
46907_scan14_0014.jpg

46907_scan15_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I have two very old hens left. They do both still lay pretty well but I am in need of male. I have beat the bushes a little trying to find one but dont think they can be had. So plan B is to find a Golden Laced male to breed to them. I talked to an old wyandotte geneticist years ago who said it was possible to cross GL and WLR with each other and it would improve the ground color of the WLR. I did this in the past and it did greatly improve the color and lacing within the WLR. The offspring from this cross usually runs about 60/40 GL/WLR. SO, next up for me is to either find an adult GL male to use. I do have about a dozen young GL growing out currently, hopefully I will get a decent male and the old girls will make it thru the summer. If those two things happen I will try and hatch out as many as I can this fall from the two hens. Like I said the variety is barely hanging on right now...
Crossing with a dark BLR male would most likely give me the same 60/40 offspring also, but those arent easy to find either.
I didnt say so but I am referring to all bantams also.
If you look back thru the Wyandotte thread there are some pics of the first WLR I obtained about 15 years ago. The pic will at least give you an idea of what they look like. Lots of people want to call the splash from the BLR cross WLR but true WLR are very white where as splash BLR are very dusky looking.

Thats what I was thinking, crossing to a Black Laced Red or maybe even a Blue laced Red male would give you some more Blue and Black laced Reds as well as some White Laced Reds, and crossing with a Red laced male instead of a Golden laced, I would think would allow you to keep up the deeper red so they wont go Buff laced on you, unless you want that.

I have used the GL cross in the past numerous times and you would be surprised it darkens the base color in the WLR. It stays red and doesnt lighten it up in any way. A Black Laced Red would work fine I would think also. Maybe in the future I will try that if I can get my hands on some good BLR. From the very beginning I will say the WLR were some of the best chickens I have ever raised. They laid great and laid fairly large eggs also. Their fertility and hatchability was always great. Just hope I can save them.

Yep Well I'd love to help you out with breeding them back up if you do produce more and could sell me some eggs sometime. And I would actually think that good BBLRs would be easier to find than GL I dont know if I have seen many people at all with GL bantams, I think Dick Horstman is the only one I know of. And if you has a WLR roo, you could breed him to so nice Silver laced hens and some of the pullets would be pure WLR.

Well I do have a dozen little GL growing out at the moment from a reputable wyandotte breeder. We shall see how they look when get older. You might be surprised there are quite a few GL breeders out there. I talked to an old time breeder last week who I used to share birds with and he sold his stock to a breeder here in TX so I will calling them for some stock in the fall also.
Not sure about the cross with WLR and SL. That would most likely dilute the red greatly, I dunno something to try in the future also.
If all goes well(which I sure hope it does), I dont think I would be ready to disperse any of them to other breeders for several years. I am going to try to contact some of the older wyandotte breeders I know who used to have them and see if they at least know of someone else who is still raising them. Between these WLR and my SP I have enough to keep me busy for a while haha.....
Although I would like to tackle the BB Red issue at some point in time also. Just because if they can be created they open a door for many other varieties like Red Pyle, BlueB Red, Wheaton, possibly Silver Duckwing and Golden Duckwing.....Ah the thoughts of a Wyandotte obsessed man.

The projects always seem endless, but all seem like great ideas. I look forward to seeing results in the years to come. Would be glad to assist in anyway possible if ever needed in the future.

Oh yes the projects are endless, both endless possibilities and endless ways to improve them. And I think I have figured out how to make the Wheaten Wyandottes, its going to take a good bit of work though because I would have to cross in some mixed bantam that I already have and work for years to get the type right, but I would love to have wheaten Wyandotte bantams, so its worth it to me.

If I am going to wish for varieties I might as well make a list of them.
Here are the Wyandotte Bantam varieties I would like to see at some point in my life. Some of them are recognized varieties but are so rare or non existant they will have to be created again from scratch. Birchen, Brown Red and BB Red and Blue B Red were all admitted to the ABA standard in the early 60s so at one point in time they must have been somewhat widespread.

BB Red
Blue Breasted Red
Red Pyle
Silver Duckwing
Golden Duckwing
Blue Golden Duckwing
Spangled
Birchen
Brown Red
Lemon Blue
Mille Fleur
Dun Laced Gold(Have seen before but want them back haha)
Mottled
If I really want to get crazy I would say Blue Spangled(to me they are one of the prettiest varieties of OE I have seen with the light blue and the dark Mahogany colors together)

Back
Top Bottom