Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Pics
I am so eggsited to see what happens! I was reading up on emus and apparently in the wild the males sit on the eggs and the female takes off. Talk about identity issues!

For some species of kiwi the male alone incubates the egg/s because the amount of effort and energy required to produce an egg is huge.
https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/about-kiwi/kiwi-facts-characteristics/kiwi-life-cycle/producing-an-egg/

Not sure what the emu hen's excuse is! :lol:

In some kiwi species they've recently discovered the females will stick around and help out a bit, and in others the older kids stick around for up to 7 years to help out dear old dad. Yet other species kick the kid/s out of their territory by 4-6 weeks!

Okay, week one check-in!

Egg 22 is down to 557.3 grams from 569 grams. Target weight loss for the week was 12.2 grams, and total loss was 12 grams!

Egg A is down to 552 grams from 570 grams. Target weight loss for the week was 12.3 grams, and total loss was 18 grams. A little concerning.

Egg B is down to 535.6 grams from 548 grams. Target weight loss was 11.6 grams, and total weight loss was 13 grams. A little too much.

Hopefully next week weight loss looks better on A and B.

Thanks! I actually got really great advice from the woman I bought my second two eggs from :) She gave me a total rundown on what to do, so I'm fairly confident that, as long as the early temp swings didn't mess these eggs up, I'll be able to do okay with them.
WOW! Now that would be someone I'd buy from if I ever wanted emus...What an awesome seller!

Back
Top Bottom