Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Pics
Would upping humidity to compensate be a bad idea?
more water in the air means less oxygen in the air

I need that at the moment. I have one Button quail female who lays super thick (or just super coloured) eggs and I can't see into them. I can barely make out the air cell, and I certainly can't see if anyone has pipped into it! Very frustrating! Usually I don't have any problems seeing what's going on. :confused:
he did it as an experiment and i dont think it had any ill affects, but vinegar does eat calcium so it can affect the porosity of the eggs greatly

Lol, no! Four is enough. Probably :oops:

But really, I'll be waiting to see if these show any signs of life before thinking about buying more.
:lau

The Brinsea lost its emu egg privileges today. I watched the temperature keep creeping up even though I kept turning the temperature knob down. Finally when I caught the thermometer reading 98.8 I was done fooling around with it and all the eggs are now in the Emubator.

I think the Brinsea is old and dying. It is six years old now and has seen a lot of hatches, so it's a distinct possibility that it's just giving up the ghost. Which is a problem because it's my hatcher.
odd, have you contacted brinsea? i hear their customer service is really good, i wonder if you could just rebuild it

and if not what you'll be doing with it :pop

lol

Ou4XTFy3BO0T426VfzJdVY5N1Qy1BEDY1ibDmb-JLawsla2F75kUiQa178KNRf92NGBsiObX75Qldu5p3XAGx7iVfZEJCOLGKs8gteOQc27NJn2KHOmF2i1k_bRxmhYvJxinHSUjbwUDMIaqLr59Ht7Os-W0Y1ucAyG7WdFnTzoWbvRoLXrZto0z3hMPoTGvS22XJ_YHs0EzkE0DWWW-U7wvwZsInwS0DcmCiroy4G1cX01zFj16DdDgX2ASqU9MJ5GvroaQXbGh5H9OtBH_ChQBGnJULhBdr-_r9eTduRGLxDXxcz4IM2p-7hD1QkeIFrjSoNtkDVNSQFgFtOmjueWuy__LJiKoA2Q5vQvAPjwPDudpUAc4fkEWfJXC3UA6Y7KCls7qLE9l7GW8WuM05-ZVGY-OZ-fII_A5FSCKf1yCjFnqEBj74d29bL-IMkMojvF3e2p8cUNBgI5tesp-Mv66bD9FpXTunZIR4nLoxjBysVGdjtgPSqc4-a6yV35ZnyR9JxNp35mom3-axO2GvJ9prQS7_2gTwyqUwjpmK-nfr3aQBo0EO7Rej6HKWIQ2UDUQ1ahMB8vC0_dQ-8ekhWEOgKFYCtBsfSV-ITk=w883-h662-no

Not exactly helpful, lol.
:hmm

Stupid question

Emu need lots of oxygen, -could you add some of those soil-less plants to the bator to help increase oxygen levels?

Emu need lots of oxygen, -could you add some of those soil-less plants to the bator to help increase oxygen levels?[/QUOTE]

I'd be concerned about a tilandsia bringing bacteria into the bator. Also, they don't have much leaf, so wouldn't be very good oxygenators. Finally, while they do release O2 when the sun is shining, they actually reverse the process when it's dark. They then take in O2, and release CO2.

Day 28 update! Or really early day 29 since I again fell asleep before doing the weighing last night :oops:

Egg 22 has lost 48 grams and should have lost 47.6, so it's looking great! Egg A, which I put in its own incubator this week with higher humidity to try to retard its weight loss, has lost 54.8 grams and should have lost 47.88. So, this week I did manage to make up some of the difference. Still much higher than I would like, though. Egg B has lost 48.8 grams and should have lost 45.9, so it's lost more than I would like, but technically it's still in the acceptable range.

Egg C, of course, is not due at the same time but here's an update on it too. It has lost 35.8 grams and should have lost 36, so it's pretty much dead on.

Day 28 update! Or really early day 29 since I again fell asleep before doing the weighing last night :oops:

Egg 22 has lost 48 grams and should have lost 47.6, so it's looking great! Egg A, which I put in its own incubator this week with higher humidity to try to retard its weight loss, has lost 54.8 grams and should have lost 47.88. So, this week I did manage to make up some of the difference. Still much higher than I would like, though. Egg B has lost 48.8 grams and should have lost 45.9, so it's lost more than I would like, but technically it's still in the acceptable range.

Egg C, of course, is not due at the same time but here's an update on it too. It has lost 35.8 grams and should have lost 36, so it's pretty much dead on.
OOh these are super encouraging numbers! Egging on egg A for a 100% hatch! Go babies go! :love

I called Tractor Supply a few days ago to see if it was possible for them to special order me some Mazuri ratite starter when the time came. I did this really early because last time I tried to special order feed from them, it was Purina Game Bird, and they never actually ordered it. I had called them before my peafowl eggs hatched to ask if they could get it, and they told me they could and would order it. I never got it and they never ordered it and I gave up. So I decided to be very proactive this time.

I called and was told that they could definitely get the ratite maintenance, but didn't know about the starter. They said they would send an email to their feed supplier and ask, and then get back to me.

Today I hadn't heard back and remembering the run around I got the last time I decided to call and check up on it. So a man answers the phone and I explain the situation and he checks and then comes back and says that they ordered it and it will be in on Tuesday.

So the first time, I ordered feed and they never ordered it and never got it in for me (while telling me repeatedly that they DID order it but couldn't tell me when it would be in). This time, I didn't order feed and they ordered it without telling me they ordered it and I will have it before I even know if I need it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I called Tractor Supply a few days ago to see if it was possible for them to special order me some Mazuri ratite starter when the time came. I did this really early because last time I tried to special order feed from them, it was Purina Game Bird, and they never actually ordered it. I had called them before my peafowl eggs hatched to ask if they could get it, and they told me they could and would order it. I never got it and they never ordered it and I gave up. So I decided to be very proactive this time.

I called and was told that they could definitely get the ratite maintenance, but didn't know about the starter. They said they would send an email to their feed supplier and ask, and then get back to me.

Today I hadn't heard back and remembering the run around I got the last time I decided to call and check up on it. So a man answers the phone and I explain the situation and he checks and then comes back and says that they ordered it and it will be in on Tuesday.

So the first time, I ordered feed and they never ordered it and never got it in for me (while telling me repeatedly that they DID order it but couldn't tell me when it would be in). This time, I didn't order feed and they ordered it without telling me they ordered it and I will have it before I even know if I need it :rolleyes:
:weeNO PRESSURE NOW! But there's probably half a pallet with your name on it sitting at your TSC :lau

Back
Top Bottom