Quail Aviary 2.0

Your dog is wearing hardware cloth down with his nose? What breed is he, cyborg?

Labrador, but very "curious" about the quail. I know he'd shake them out of their skins in a heartbeat if he got the chance, but most of the time he just rests his mouth near the bottom and breaths against the hardware cloth. Turns out galvanization is no match for wet, slightly-acidic dog snot applied daily.
:idunno

Please keep us in the loop/post an update on the painted hardware cloth in the future!! I'd love to know how that holds up compared to not painted.

I will! I've done my research on how to prep and prime galvanized steel for longevity, but we'll see how it goes. It would be great if it could go 5-6 years between repaints—that would align nicely with the schedule for re-staining.

After some aggressive toe-screwing and creative use of straps and angle ties, the back wall is finished.

P3270522.JPG

We tested it for fit before installing the hardware cloth—nice and square!

P3270528.JPG

Only split the wood twice...

P3270536.JPG

Decided to try the washer method this time around (don't care if I ever see a poultry staple again in my life!) and it's held up through our manhandling. Wire will be painted in place as soon as I get my hands on some primer.

After some aggressive toe-screwing and creative use of straps and angle ties, the back wall is finished.

View attachment 1717254
We tested it for fit before installing the hardware cloth—nice and square!

View attachment 1717255
Only split the wood twice...

View attachment 1717256
Decided to try the washer method this time around (don't care if I ever see a poultry staple again in my life!) and it's held up through our manhandling. Wire will be painted in place as soon as I get my hands on some primer.

:celebrate:wee:clap
:woot:woot

You should write an article for the my coops section of the learning center when your through, they offer the PFM(Premium Feather Membership) as a prize for artical writing competitions often.

I was maybe going to make an article (more pictures/details) but I wasn't sure where to post it. Now I definitely will. Thanks for the info!

Got quite a bit done yesterday (couldn't have done it without my family!). Last wall is almost done, the other two are temporarily attached to the base.

P3290557.JPG

It's easier to see the size of it with the walls up.

P3290558.JPG

One of these blocks in each corner keep it from shifting on the base while we get the walls toed in.

P3290560.JPG

Sunny here has been a big help...in "dog-scaping" the yard.

P3280543.JPG

Who needs a $40 hardware cloth straightener when you have an extra board and an extra set of hands? Goes on much nicer with the kinks and curves worked out...
...and don't ask why I haven't been doing this all along :oops:.

Once the walls are on, the "ceiling" goes up. Then the door. Then I can paint the hardware cloth.

All walls up and secured! The "ceiling" supports are on, but no hardware cloth yet. Door will be built tomorrow.

P3300626.JPG

Loving how it's come together!

fullsizeoutput_240.jpeg

All the cross pieces were measured and ripped in place, not assembled "off-site" (i.e. in the garage) like the walls. Stiffened all the loose bits right up.

P3300650.JPG

Girls started laying again after their mini-break, too. There's been some fighting in the flock in the last few days, so more room can't come soon enough.

Topsoil for all garden beds (aviary included) arrives Monday-ish—can't wait to plant!

Back
Top Bottom