Quail Aviary 2.0

Pics
Chickens will do that when nesting and laying eggs, but it doesn't necessarily indicate broodiness. I'd take it to mean that your two girls might have more of the nest-related instincts than the others, which could mean they'd be more likely to go broody, but I don't think it means they're broody now.

Thanks for the info! I hope genetics and environment align and we can see some little mama-raised chicks this year.

Those are beautiful eggs!

Only four hens are laying right now—all of the Goldens (minus my "funny" one) and the roux dilute. These Goldens all lay similar tan and brown eggs, but the girls from the original hatch have much more variety.

My buttons do that when going broody. If you want to improve your chances of them actually going broody and staying so, I'd try to close off the opening of the log some more with branches, hay, grass or similar so they feel more sheltered and comfortable in there - and don't feel the need to run off whenever you get near.
I don't know about cots, but my buttons are nothing like chickens in how tight they sit - they'll often run if I get within 2 ft of them. And sometimes that's enough to break the broodiness. Even if they return to the nest after they were scared away (they almost always do) they don't feel comfortable there anymore and are likely to abandon it in the next few days.

I'll cut some branches from our Ponderosa Pine—they were definitely more comfortable in the late winter when they had their Christmas boughs.

Maybe it would be a good idea to wait to collect eggs until they're all in the "garden room" so they don't feel as stressed by my presence.

:eek:@le_bwah looking great there!! I love the mushrooms too. I would paint them with glow in the dark paint lol. Great idea.

I added a few bags of hay to our aviary the other day, using it as deep bedding. The quail really seem to enjoy it and it keeps the poo smell down and flies too. I also added a large clay saucer for wading as our temps are creeping up, almost 100* already by Friday.

I have noticed that if I leave an egg or two in a nesting area the girls will keep going back to it. One of my hens lays low quality eggs so I sacrifice those and it has helped reduce egg hunts every day.

Can't wait to see your yard when you get it planted. :pop

100? :eek: We're barely pushing 80 here. I wish you luck keeping all your critters cool!

You've given me an idea—I know some people use ceramic chicken eggs to entice hens to lay in their nest boxes. Well, I've got clay and paints... I'll make some little "eggs" and try them with the quail :D! Worst it could do is make them nervous, right? :confused:

Yea, our temps are creeping up. It'll push to near 100 then drop down for a few days. This week we're supposed to reach 100 on one day, but terribly close to that for a few.

I watered the plants in the aviary yesterday and it's nice and cool in there this morning. The littles are nearly as big as the 7 adults now, they grow so fast and have a grand time testing their little wings. I have to check regularly to make sure no one is stuck inside the tomato cages.

I like the idea of fake eggs, I think it could work! If you try it please update us on how it works out.

Yea, our temps are creeping up. It'll push to near 100 then drop down for a few days. This week we're supposed to reach 100 on one day, but terribly close to that for a few.

I watered the plants in the aviary yesterday and it's nice and cool in there this morning. The littles are nearly as big as the 7 adults now, they grow so fast and have a grand time testing their little wings. I have to check regularly to make sure no one is stuck inside the tomato cages.

I like the idea of fake eggs, I think it could work! If you try it please update us on how it works out.

Having live plants/soil seems to help so much with the heat—all that evaporating water is like a natural mister. Please post pics of your chicks when you finally let them out—are they all different colors like the older ones?

I made a couple "eggs" on Saturday. They don't look quite right, but I hope it's enough to convince the birds.
fullsizeoutput_25f.jpeg

My tiny hen, Little Lady, got defensive over an irregularly-shaped clump of dirt yesterday and pecked my hand when I tried to move her. The clod was warm when she finally moved, like she'd been sitting on it a while. Set it aside and when I came back she'd moved it under he again :rolleyes:. I hope they fine my fakes as attractive as dirt :lol:.

Oh also I remember you mentioned something about free spec/plan drawing programs somewhere but I cannot find the post. Unless i hallucinated it. If it was real can you tell me about them? Gonna have my uncle pick up lumber for me and he needs plans to he knows how much to get. Kind of hoping he'll help cut it all so I can just assemble :oops:

:lau
Dirt clod babies! Is she laying and just...ignoring the eggs for the clod?

She's laying on top of the clod :rolleyes:.

Oh also I remember you mentioned something about free spec/plan drawing programs somewhere but I cannot find the post. Unless i hallucinated it. If it was real can you tell me about them? Gonna have my uncle pick up lumber for me and he needs plans to he knows how much to get. Kind of hoping he'll help cut it all so I can just assemble :oops:

I've been using Google SketchUp—the 2017 version is free and doesn't take a supercomputer to run. A bit of a steep learning curve, but it's great for both 3D modeling and 2D blueprint rendering.

Just shared my model to 3D Warehouse—you can search for my username (le_bwah) and take a look. If you have SketchUp, it'll open that. If not, you can download the .dae file and see if you've got an app that can read it.

I actually liked making all the cuts for my project—it was the hammering and clipping and lifting that I wanted over with. Really looking forward to seeing your project begin—please share pics as you go!

Definitely check Craigslist for tools, too—that's where most of ours came from, and only a few of them have "quirks." The miter saw alone was a godsend.
She's laying on top of the clod :rolleyes:.

I've been using Google SketchUp—the 2017 version is free and doesn't take a supercomputer to run. A bit of a steep learning curve, but it's great for both 3D modeling and 2D blueprint rendering.

Just shared my model to 3D Warehouse—you can search for my username (le_bwah) and take a look. If you have SketchUp, it'll open that. If not, you can download the .dae file and see if you've got an app that can read it.

I actually liked making all the cuts for my project—it was the hammering and clipping and lifting that I wanted over with. Really looking forward to seeing your project begin—please share pics as you go!
My uncle's a contractor so he has all the tools. I've helped him do work at our house, I just lack the upper body strength to hold things. I'm totally fine hammering, snipping, drilling, sanding, caulking, painting, and planing. Plus I'd rather him be there to help set the posts in cement too...that's all I'd need. Crooked posts :he I told him if he helps he can have quail eggs whenever he wants haha. CL around here is sad, lots of overpriced junk no one needs.
I'm so bad at drawing apps so hopefully it won't be too bad. I use my galaxy tab4 to do everything these days, usually has enough brains to run stuff quickly.

I might start posting some pics. The straight before/after are going to be stark.
She's trying to hatch little quail golems!

Do you have a circular saw? You can get one for a fairly low price at most places, and from what I know they aren't hard to use. Just keep your fingers away from it.
I do have one I think my mom got it at a thrift. It wobbles quite violently.

Back
Top Bottom