Quail Aviary 2.0

@florence_nightinquail I thought about a wire-lined floor for my aviary too, but after mucking it out multiple times a year and digging out pits for the birds to dust bathe in, I realized I'd be running into the wire frequently and risk gouging holes in it. I figured (and still figure) that all I need is to make it more of a hassle than it's worth to get one measly bird.

My area gets raccoons, skunks, rats, mice, and small snakes—plus the neighborhood dogs and cats. A hardware cloth skirt and an inch of gravel have been all the deterrent needed to digging predators. If you use the actual welded stuff, it should hold up to more wild and tenacious beasties too. (Like, unless you get bears, a properly installed wire skirt/apron should hold).

@florence_nightinquail I thought about a wire-lined floor for my aviary too, but after mucking it out multiple times a year and digging out pits for the birds to dust bathe in, I realized I'd be running into the wire frequently and risk gouging holes in it. I figured (and still figure) that all I need is to make it more of a hassle than it's worth to get one measly bird.

My area gets raccoons, skunks, rats, mice, and small snakes—plus the neighborhood dogs and cats. A hardware cloth skirt and an inch of gravel have been all the deterrent needed to digging predators. If you use the actual welded stuff, it should hold up to more wild and tenacious beasties too. (Like, unless you get bears, a properly installed wire skirt/apron should hold).

Thank you! Yeah, that's a good point... I guess I was hoping to be able to bury it deeply enough that I wouldn't run into it when mucking it out but maybe that's wishful thinking. I guess there's not much danger in the groundhogs/moles digging into the aviary besides rats using their tunnels to get in, is there?

Thank you! Yeah, that's a good point... I guess I was hoping to be able to bury it deeply enough that I wouldn't run into it when mucking it out but maybe that's wishful thinking. I guess there's not much danger in the groundhogs/moles digging into the aviary besides rats using their tunnels to get in, is there?
Even if the aviary is fully planted and drawing root-eaters' attention, I think your flock will be okay with just the skirt. Even if that changes later and you notice digging, there are other tactics to try.

One thing about living in P town is that you're on adobe. That stuff is like iron when it's dry. I never had a problem with burrowing pests. Even the rats didn't dig.

There are definitely raccoons, rats, mice, skunks and snakes there, and don't forget the possums and hawks.

One thing about living in P town is that you're on adobe. That stuff is like iron when it's dry. I never had a problem with burrowing pests. Even the rats didn't dig.

There are definitely raccoons, rats, mice, skunks and snakes there, and don't forget the possums and hawks.

Man, you're not kidding! I was pulling up some old weed barrier on the property today and that ground is hard... But I did come across a ton of (what I assume are) old mole/groundhog tunnels/holes under there. So something can dig through it! I just hope rats don't use the tunnels to get into the aviary. I think the likelihood is pretty low, and the PITA of having a hw cloth-covered floor would outweigh any imagined benefit though.

Brickle hatched 5 chickies! I've got another dozen eggs headed here for Wilma to try.

IMG_5667.jpg

Back
Top Bottom