Quail Chick Loss of Appetite, Lethargic

maadroj

Songster
May 25, 2019
One of our 5 week old California Valley quail chicks doesn't seem to have eaten since yesterday, and is lethargic today. It's usually one if the boldest chicks, first to come to the food. Today it's hanging back, closing its eyes, and was too easy to catch. Tried to check for signs of constipation/pasty butt, not sure. Anything else we need to check or can do for the little one?

One of our 5 week old California Valley quail chicks doesn't seem to have eaten since yesterday, and is lethargic today. It's usually one if the boldest chicks, first to come to the food. Today it's hanging back, closing its eyes, and was too easy to catch. Tried to check for signs of constipation/pasty butt, not sure. Anything else we need to check or can do for the little one?
You might want to treat for coccidiosis using Corid. A direct drip to the beak just below the nostrils for the one not eating and drinking. It's one of the most common problems for young birds and can be deadly fast.

Quail are not as prone to coccidiosis as chickens are...I'd check to see if they may have Aspergillosis. If the brooder is dusty, the fungal spores could be present, and if inhaled can cause respiratory problems.
The other thing it might be by your description is Ulcerative enteritis, caused by the bacterium Clostridium colinum, although primarily associated with Bobwhites, other quail can contract it, if the waters and feeders are not kept clean of their feces. The bacteria is shed in the feces of infected birds. What do their droppings look like? If it is UE, a large quantity of white urates surrounded with a watery ring will be present. This infection spreads like 'wildfire', mortality is 100% within days without treatment.
Oxytetracycline, Streptomycin or Duramycin are the usual medications given for UE. Administered in their drinking water and must be mixed fresh, daily.
You can find Oxytetracycline and Duramycin at TSC or most farm/feed stores. Streptomycin is usually 'by script only' from a vet.
Keep us posted on what you find out.

The chick is eating and moving about today, though not quite returned to its normal personality. Hopefully it wasn't any of the serious illnesses we feared and will continue to a full recovery, but I'm attaching some feces photos in case a more experienced eye can find clues I cannot. Thank you all for your advice. I haven't used any medicines yet but now have a small poultry pharmacy headed my way in the mail, in case of future outbreaks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_173831.jpg
    IMG_20190627_173831.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190627_170450.jpg
    IMG_20190627_170450.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190627_170422.jpg
    IMG_20190627_170422.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190627_094359.jpg
    IMG_20190627_094359.jpg