Quail chicks getting colouring- I’m curious!

Ruskin_Roost

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Mission, BC, Canada
When I bought my quail eggs I bought a mixture of “Celadon” “Pansy” and “Jumbo” Coturnix.

I am looking for advice on how to tell what the chicks’ “colour” will be as adults. Does anyone have helpful links?

They are only 8 days old but I am so excited to learn more about genetics, colouring, and egg colour correlations!

Referring to the egg-yolk picture at the bottom:

12 o’clock- Pansy Egg (#2) . Silver Coturnix?

3 o’clock- Pansy/ Celadon Egg (#8). Tuxedo Coturnix?

5, 6, 9 o’clock- Pansy Eggs (#4, #3, #1). Natural Coturnix?

7 o’clock- Celadon Egg (#6). Silver Coturnix?

Thank you for your thoughts and referrals!
- Michelle at the Ruskin Roost

BB17F7AB-452D-4C3E-B7A1-DA3C104523A9.jpeg
53352ACD-7B92-478C-A4B5-E18F53AE5B7B.jpeg
9E13BDF2-99ED-46AF-83C0-0DC90248C0F4.png
2DA2A2E2-5E91-43DF-9388-283DBA85A03D.jpeg

Thank you! Do you know from experience or is there an online reference you use? I am so excited! I think all quail are beautiful but I am stoked to have such a variety for my first hatch.
I just know from experience....(and at this age.....it could change but I’m fairly sure). I have been hatching quail for almost 2 years now and my covey includes at least 20 different myshire colors.....

Who did you buy your eggs from?
Your little tuxedo... Are you sure it's eating well?
Tux was the last to hatch and from the smallest egg. He was an assisted hatch. (I don’t know yet if “he” is a he but in my mind he is). He had pasty bum, constipation, and a swollen oil gland. He is roughly 4 days behind in maturity, compared to the others. I was feeding him via pipette mixtures of egg yolk-water, pineapple-water, and molasses-water (for constipation). He loved eating the mash and is now eating all solids. He has pin feathers and has grown almost twice his size from day 6 to day 8. I am VERY concerned about him and have another light and container ready for pickup on Tuesday! I am considering keeping him as a pet inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom