Quail color identification examples (adult/fully feathered)

Beautiful :) I noticed it sitting on a shoulder - funny because I find my Goldies the calmest and friendliest of them all.
she's a bird from last year. they got eaten by a racoon. i just wanted to know what kind she was :) this bird is the same. she wouldn't run off when we put her down on a table or any high places :)

she's a bird from last year. they got eaten by a racoon. i just wanted to know what kind she was :) this bird is the same. she wouldn't run off when we put her down on a table or any high places :)

So sorry to hear that you lost her :(

I have to admit there is not much info out there on Golden Giants - I was thinking of creating a page about them. I will stop being lazy and get on it soon.

Will mine look like this after a while or did I get a messed up color 😂 I won't care if it's messed up because I really like it.

This is the snowy 🤷🏼‍♀️

View attachment 2125121
no you didn’t mess up.....that looks to be a snowy!!! there is a lot of variation in the color and patterns.....this one is feathering out beautifully!!! i’m excited to see it as an adult!!!

Do they really make that much noise?

Mine are still chirping nothing else
it depends on individual situation i guess.....in my “urban small homestead” setting, 1 duck and 1 pheasant + 12 coturnix roos can be heard all over the neighborhood all hours of day and night!!! my major complaint was over a chicken rooster crowing, but in my case, i have to be xtra careful not to “pee off” the neighbors!

I agree that one looks like falb fee. Here is a picture of some of my falb fee hens.
Hens2.jpg

Do all the experienced quail keepers on this thread have a favorite article/website/whatever that explains Coturnix varieties and the genetics behind them? I am having a tough time finding good info that doesn't contradict others. Thanks!
it is difficult to find good articles on genetics and color variations.....a lot of it is just through experience and help from experienced and knowledgeable breeders. zack @Myshire Farm Quail has great pictures on his website and has been adding general and in-depth you tube videos on each color they offer and genetics information!!

If someone is interessted to take a look into more scientific genetics of Coturnix Japonica, I'll suggest this (the pdf attached)
It is quite heavy to read and needs a bit of basic genetic knowlege, but it is great.

Most web-sites, I saw, have some discrepancies.

Even the different scientists aren't consistent, e.g. the Manchurian gene: Discovered by three scientists and called differently: Fawn, Fawn2 and Beige ... It is possibly the same gene, but might be slightly different genes.

Therefore I am still searching for a partial or complete genom map of Coturnix Japonica, with gene locations.
If someone has some sources, I'll be thankful.

Attachments

• 45_159 (2).pdf
    873.1 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom