Char93

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hi everyone!
so we are owners to six lovely hens mostly a bantam breed flock. We also have a cat who’s instincts are a little strong unfortunately. We have wild California quail (We are in west coast Canada) who often come join our flock when the hens are out. Recently the California quail has laid a nest of eggs in a bucket of wood and two (ish?) Weeks in to incubating her nest our cat chased her off and she never returned we left the eggs for five days (we didn’t know she had eggs there it was discovered on day five) we haven’t seen her since. Us being the animal loving type picked up the eggs and put them under our broody serama hen. We then moved them into the incubator. We candles them and they have developed. But we are unsure about hatching quails and can’t find a lot of information online. What do they eat ? what humidity do they need? What week are they on ( from candling they look like end of mid week two as far as chicken progress goes) ? Honestly just looking for support.

Here are some images of the candling sorry they aren’t the best. From what I’ve read there is a lockdown period that occurs where candling is bad but I don’t really care about hatch rate just hoping i can figure it out for humidity and try to get best chances I can. Two of the eggs have small cracks which I am unsure about but them seem to be developing fine so. There are 17 eggs overall and everyone seems to have an ebryo. Thanks for all the help:)

Attachments

• 1E7A4C32-23E6-4DAA-882E-5E0D93B8099D.jpeg
    1E7A4C32-23E6-4DAA-882E-5E0D93B8099D.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2E1385AB-7FBE-4929-BDB3-169AF61B5503.jpeg
    2E1385AB-7FBE-4929-BDB3-169AF61B5503.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 4EFE38D4-3798-430E-B2EC-61DFBAACE246.jpeg
    4EFE38D4-3798-430E-B2EC-61DFBAACE246.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 8
Hmm the two last ones look fine but not too sure of the first..
The last two appear to have blood rings, and the first doesn't look alive anymore either.

Unless your ambient temperatures are very close to incubation temperatures, it is likely these eggs all died during the 5 days before you found them. If you post candling pics of them all, someone will be able to assist further. An expert has been tagged earlier in the thread.

I don't know a lot about quail, but I found a link that should help

"Incubation Time: Valley Quail Hatching Eggs will hatch in about 20-23 days.

Temperature/Humidity: Valley Quail Hatching Eggs will hatch best if incubated at 100 degrees F, decreasing to 98.5 degrees F during the final three days of incubation. Humidity should be kept at 50% until day 19, when it should be raised to 60-65% until the chicks hatch. Turning the eggs 3 times a day for the first 19 days is a solid practice. After day 19, stop turning the eggs."
https://www.purelypoultry.com/valley-quail-eggs-p-1167.html

Back
Top Bottom