Quail eggs

Oliver88

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2021
Hey, this is my first time on the website, so I have no idea what im doing, oh well... anyway, this is my first time incubating quail eggs (king quail), im on day 12 and I just candled them, and it doesn't look quite like all the images online, there are veins and a little lump the size of like the eraser on the end of a pencil (weird example ik)... are these not gonna work out, dead, or just behind on development?

King quail hatch in 16-18 days if at proper temp etc. they are very difficult to candle. Lockdown can be started at day 13 or 14. I typically stop the hatch and check for any late hatchers at 48 hours after last hatch. Please do not listen to the person saying 23 days!!!!! It’s supposedly helpful to have king quail eggs touching at lockdown.

Sounds like you still have viable eggs. King Quail take 23-24 days to hatch. A lot of the pictures online that you are looking at are probably coturnix quail which only take 17 days to incubate so that might be why they look like they are running behind. So veins and a blob sounds right on schedule as long as you aren't seeing a red blood ring keep on incubating.

what day should I put them into lockdown?
I've never done King Quail (I raise coturnix) but my best guess would be 3 days before hatch date. So day 20 would be lockdown, but as early as day 19 wouldn't hurt either. If they are like coturnix you will have a few early to the party I've had one pop on the evening of day 15.

Sounds like you still have viable eggs. King Quail take 23-24 days to hatch. A lot of the pictures online that you are looking at are probably coturnix quail which only take 17 days to incubate so that might be why they look like they are running behind. So veins and a blob sounds right on schedule as long as you aren't seeing a red blood ring keep on incubating.
I thought they took short time then corturnix since they are smaller? I looked it up and everything said they take about 17 days
@Nabiki

I'll read it all rn but from the lil I got basically day 1 is day 0 and they normally hatch day 16 but can take a couple days if no pip by day of hatch u can candle to see if it's ok or in position

Back
Top Bottom