Quail flew away :(

image1.jpeg
My prettiest girl!

Clip it? how do you do that?
You want to clip the primaries, the longest feathers on the wing. Be sure they are grown in all the way, if you look at the underside, a feather that is not done growing will have blood in the tube part of the feather and in the shaft, so it’ll look purple or dark. If your bird were to break a blood feather, you want to pull it out at the base to stop the bleeding.
4047DE9E-E3CE-4524-84EB-2CF63321E137.jpeg

You want to clip the primaries, the longest feathers on the wing. Be sure they are grown in all the way, if you look at the underside, a feather that is not done growing will have blood in the tube part of the feather and in the shaft, so it’ll look purple or dark. If your bird were to break a blood feather, you want to pull it out at the base to stop the bleeding.
View attachment 2380322
Ah. Okay. I have been thinking of doing that, but haven't been able to.
Also, I need to know which are my males all times (i'm starting to sell quail)
Can I put a zip tie around their ankle?

Clip it? how do you do that?

1603216321797.png

This is not my picture, from google.
It shows the general layout of a birds wing. #1 is the primary feathers, and #4 are the secondary feathers. #2 are the coverts. Clip the primaries along the coverts on one wing, so when they fly they are a little off balance. They can still fly this way, but can't go very far.

Last edited:
Ah. Okay. I have been thinking of doing that, but haven't been able to.
Also, I need to know which are my males all times (i'm starting to sell quail)
Can I put a zip tie around their ankle?
Sorry about your quail :( I’ve never had birds that could actually fly away, but I’d be very upset if I did and one got away. Clipping their wings is definitely a good idea.

You can buy specific bands to put around their ankles (color coded, or numbered) or you can use zip ties, but you have to be careful that they don’t ride up on their leg and cut off circulation. That can permanently injure them. And if you put them on young birds be sure to check often that they aren’t too tight.

Hello,
My quail flew away. I live in a neighborhood.. She flew into some house, and I have no clue which..
Any help?
I was doing laundry and my king quail she flew out the laundry door across the walk and into the gated pool area thats bolted shut cuz of covid she basked in the sun like 5 steps away from gate wouldn't even come with a giant baggy of food which she normally chases cuz she knows its food i had to go jump dumpsters and a wall grab her and jump back i say go asking neighbors if they seen a pet quail. I hope u find them and they are safe

Back
Top Bottom