Quail gasping for air

I think that might be the case, because I've seen her pecking at it. It's pine/aspen bedding and I put in some carefresh earlier today. How do you suggest I remove the blockage of that is the case?

She does look really ill. I don't think she has something stuck but you just don't know. The trouble with trying to check her is the stress might be too much as she is clearly having lots of trouble breathing. At least be ready to lose her. Sorry...she has great coloring.

She was eating and drinking today and laid her first egg since I brought her home. However, she's still doing that motion with her beak and neck. Should I try just giving her water to help her wash down whatever is stuck in her crop if anything is?

Last edited:
well if she is eating and drinking and laid an egg you she sounds like shes felling fine. maybe she is a mouth ah beak breather! lol glad she is doing better. so maybe its just nervous...

She hasn't laid since but is still eating and drinking. I was watching her sleep (that sounds creepy...) and she couldn't even keep her head tucked in her wing because her entire body was rocking back and forth, and she would be sneezing too. Or at least I think it's sneezing. I guess I'll just have to wait and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advice!

Good news is that she laid another two eggs! And is still eating and drinking. However I found some tiny bug eggs/larvae in their seed (not crumble) do you they would be safe for them?

If possible do not give her feed infested with bugs, you don't know how much of what they are eating is actually the feed or bug poop.
sickbyc.gif
Also the bugs could be harboring parasites. You can freeze the feed like @pinkrblu suggests or add a tablespoon of Diatomaceous Earth to a gallon of feed and mix it in well. The DE will keep bugs from infesting feed or already infested feed from getting worse.

If possible get her off the shavings and onto a wire floor so she is not inhaling the wood dust every time she or one of her cage mates dust bathes in the bedding. In her state she does not need to add to her breathing woes.

Here's a video of her:
She seems to have gotten worse. Now that I thought about it, I don't think I've seen her eat or drink today.
Here's another video after i took her out to check her crop. I don't know what a healthy crop is supposed to feel like, but hers is soft and squishy. I stressed her out a lot and know she's worse. I'm afraid she won't make it.
I have a 4 year old BQ hen who has started doing the exact same thing! It's like they're acting normal except for the labored breathing. Is your girl still alive? Did you ever figure out what caused it?I'm taking mine back to the vet's as this has been going on for three weeks now :/

Back
Top Bottom