Quail/Guinea Q

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
Can someone tell me about these if you have them?
I had heard they were good "watch" birds. lol. Is that only guineas?
A little flock of them running around might be neat.
Do they fly around alot?
Can you eat eggs ok, Probably just takes more to make an omlette?
smile.png

Any info is appreciated,
tHanks!
Angela

I have guineas and love them. They are not as friendly as the chickens but that's OK. Haven't had a bug/tick problem since I got them. Also, have not seen any snakes while I've had them. (BIG PLUS) Eggs are about the same size as a reg. chicken egg but has a little stronger taste. They can be quiet loud when they get scared but usually not much noiser than my roosters when they crow.

I've had 3 guineas (kept with 3 chickens (started w/ 5, 1 RIR hen died of respiratory prob. [never forgotten, my sweet little Annie chicken]) for about 9 months now and I can tell you this: guineas are a whole different ball game from chickens. (Don't let that scare you off, though). They're great! They can make a great deal of noise, but they are NOT noisy all day. They do often call each other if they get out of sight from one another. Guineas are rather skittish, (they will tolerate some petting when they've gone to roost, but don't like to be picked up and aren't fond of cuddling)and they think (or don't think!) on a very primal level. For instance, they can be one foot from the gate, and rather than process that info and go through, they may just try to throw themselves through the fence instead. Eventually they will go, "oh yeah"... and find the gap. They are an endless source of entertainment, and lay very hardshelled (and very tasty) eggs a bit on the small side. They're very intent on finding bugs and though we haven't had a summer bug season since I've had them, I'm looking forward to a tick (and hopefully flea) free yard.
cool.png
I hope you enjoy your guineas! If you plan to keep them close by, you will need to do periodic wing clipping or else plan on waving goodbye...

Back
Top Bottom