Quail Hatching

kaytee75

Hatching
Aug 7, 2017
Hi everyone,

I know this is a chicken forum but I am in desperate need of advice regarding hatching quails.

My daughter bought home 5 fertilised quail eggs from college which went into the incubator. Each one died at a different stage of development, from 4 days development which was basically just a head to one that died almost at hatching - was fully formed and had feathers but failed to absorb the yolk into his guts

We then bought 6 Harlequin quail eggs on Ebay from a reputable breeder with 100% positive feedback. 5 of these eggs were unfertilised, one developed up to hatching but died with a tiny amount of yolk not absorbed. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_213140_585 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170807_213140_585 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
What humidity and temp do you use during incubation?

Still air or forced air incubator?

What kind? (Miller,lg, hovabator, homemade)

My guess is too high of humidity during incubation.

Drowning when the late forming birds pip internally

We had 75% humidity after seeing somewhere online that this was recomended

Forced air incubator, non branded

Forced air you want a temp of 100f.

I have my best luck getting eggs to hatch if I keep my humidity between 20 and 35 percent during incubation. Then raise to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch.

75 is way too high during incubation. They probably drowned when they pipped. As the grew too large for the air cell.

If you try another round go drier during incubation. See if the results are better.

Good luck

Hi everyone,

I know this is a chicken forum but I am in desperate need of advice regarding hatching quails.

My daughter bought home 5 fertilised quail eggs from college which went into the incubator. Each one died at a different stage of development, from 4 days development which was basically just a head to one that died almost at hatching - was fully formed and had feathers but failed to absorb the yolk into his guts

We then bought 6 Harlequin quail eggs on Ebay from a reputable breeder with 100% positive feedback. 5 of these eggs were unfertilised, one developed up to hatching but died with a tiny amount of yolk not absorbed. What am I doing wrong?
I've had similar problems. Check the incubator temperature with a digital thermometer to confirm the settings are correct.

Back
Top Bottom