Quail leg band suggestions please

Sara L

Free Ranging
5 Years
Aug 14, 2017
Northern California
I am wondering if someone has suggestions for quail leg bands to track Coturnix quail for breeding purposes. I tried the plastic bands with numbers on them and they fall off really easy. Like slide off over the foot. They have only stayed on a few of the birds. I have also used some of the colored plastic ones without numbers and they seem to stay on better but there are only so many colors. I also used the rubber colored bands but same thing, only so many colors; they seem to work better for telling chicks apart but then you have to take them off once the chick gets bigger.

KIMG0902.JPG

I know some people use zip ties as leg bands for cots. There are not many colors, but then you can combine them (yellow left leg, green right leg) and the combinations can help you identify many birds.

Do wing bands go around the wing or does it actually pierce the wing? I don't want to injure them which is why I was thinking leg bands.

I am not completely sure, but they do clamp on and mention a point. However these are a common way of marking birds, so I don’t think it injures them.

I know some people use zip ties as leg bands for cots. There are not many colors, but then you can combine them (yellow left leg, green right leg) and the combinations can help you identify many birds.
I have seen the zip tie suggestion, and might try it if I can figure out a way to cut the tail end flush. I don't want them to be able to tighten the zip tie by pecking at it.

I use tiny tiny zip ties
I use tiny bright green zip ties for the male, some you cant tell by the feathers and I think its easier then a vent check every time!!

I have seen the zip tie suggestion, and might try it if I can figure out a way to cut the tail end flush. I don't want them to be able to tighten the zip tie by pecking at it.
I cut the remaining long end with a pair of side cutters, works great, this way it cant tighten!

I just use zip ties. I have never had to worry about them tightening it any more than I had it. Just cut it close. They really can't get enough leverage to keep pulling it since....

1. It is already a small circle when it is around their leg and already hard to tighten any more simply due to that.
2. If they did peck at it or pull, it would just pull the legs out from under the bird. Quail weigh almost nothing, so the amount of force needed to click a zip tie is way more than the force to trip or knock over a bird. So they wont do it to themselves, and wont really be able to do it to each other either.

I am using a zip tie and it works quite well. Be sure to get the very tiny ones.

Back
Top Bottom