Quail not mating

Pics
2 hours isn't a death sentence, especially this close to hatch. They should be in lockdown today. It won't hurt to candle them, but I suspect that most of them will be fine.
Thanks. I have closed the incubator. And added some cotton ti increase the surface area of water to increase humidity. :fl

I never knew why they say that be patient while chicks are hatching, but I figured it out today. I killed one baby with my very own hands 😟😔 she was shrink wrapped and her membrane was dry. She was struggling since last night and was not zipping further so I decided to help her. I tore the shell carefully and then moistened the membrane, carefully removed it and the chick head came out. Everything was fine.I put her back in the incubator. An hour later, she was in the same position as I left her, but was alive(maybe resting). I was worried. So i took the egg out and pulled her out of the egg, and then...........suddenly a lot of blood came out of her umbilical cord and she instantly expired. I learned today that you should always be patient while chicks are hatching. And that "haste makes waste"
She was only one egg from one of my hens. She is a very (i think) little diluted wild color quail but her baby was i think of new colour as it was all yellow with a dot on her head. But what i can do now except for mourning and blaming myself. It was only egg of my quail. Other eggs are from other quails.
Maybe I should try next time. IMG_20200720_201234.jpg

Last edited:
I never knew why they say that be patient while chicks are hatching, but I figured it out today. I killed one baby with my very own hands 😟😔 she was shrink wrapped and her membrane was dry. She was struggling since last night and was not zipping further so I decided to help her. I tore the shell carefully and then moistened the membrane, carefully removed it and the chick head came out. Everything was fine.I put her back in the incubator. An hour later, she was in the same position as I left her, but was alive(maybe resting). I was worried. So i took the egg out and pulled her out of the egg, and then...........suddenly a lot of blood came out of her umbilical cord and she instantly expired. I learned today that you should always be patient while chicks are hatching. And that "haste makes waste"
She was only one egg from one of my hens. She is a very (i think) little diluted wild color quail but her baby was i think of new colour as it was all yellow with a dot on her head. But what i can do now except for mourning and blaming myself. It was only egg of my quail. Other eggs are from other quails.
Maybe I should try next time.View attachment 2253631
I'm sorry for your loss. It's a hard lesson to learn.

Back
Top Bottom