Quail Problem

redshoulderfox

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I noticed that one of my birds looked like she was trying to push something out and there was a bulge right behind her vent. I thought she might be egg bound so gave her a warm 15 min bath. During the bath her bulge got larger and she started pushing harder. After I dried her off she was not pumping as hard and bulge stayed the same size. I pushed gently on the bulge and it felt like there was only air inside. I have been watching her for couple days now and tonight I noticed that now other places in her body look like they have air filling them and she is pumping harder( the two days before tonight she looked the same as she did after the bath). a few other birds look like they might have the beginning of the same problem. Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do to help theses birds?!!

Last edited:
Give her an internal exam for a stuck egg. Sounds like she could be egg bound and she will push her entire insides out if she does.

Put on a latex glove and put some vaseline or KY-jelly on your pinky finger. Gently insert your finger into her vent. If she has a stuck egg you will feel it within the first inch.

If she does have an egg in her oviduct, lube up her vent really well and get her soaking in more warm water for 10 to 15 mins. Not too hot but not luke warm either. If it is too cool, it will chill her and the muscles will only get tighter in her abdomen.

Get her to eat something with calcium in it too. This will help the oviduct to contract and push the egg out.

If she prolapses, (pushes her insides out) usually you have to put these types down.

Keep us posted!

I tried feeling in side her vent and I could not feel any thing. Maybe there was a soft egg inside but I'm not sure.

How is she today? If you did an exam and didn't feel and egg, chances are this is something else. How is she doing?

She could be full of worms and is straining to poop??

Last edited:
Bird 1: Mostly the same as before but she feels warmer.
Bird 2: Another bird that looked similar was egg bound and her egg came out today. but she has a slight bulge near her vent and she also looks like she is trying to push something out. I saw her poop without much trouble and poop seemed to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom