Quail swollen

Dajj

Hatching
Jan 9, 2023
Hello. I have a 6-week quail (rooster) that I notice a day ago that has a bump on top of his head and today when I checked he is swollen like a balloon around the neck and head. It feels like just air inside. He is moving normal I don't see him eating much. Normal poop, legs and wings are normal, currently on game bird starter feed from tractor supply. Any idea what could be?

Welcome To BYC

Sounds like it may be a ruptured air sac. Is vet care an option?
If not and you feel that the swelling is air, then you can either wait and see if the issue resolves on its own if the bird is otherwise doing o.k. If not, then please do some research and reading about the location of all 9 air sacs and their locations, how to go about releasing air if a sac is ruptured and what risks may be involved before you even try. Releasing air may not fix the problem and could make things worse, you never know.

This thread gives a basic overview of what a ruptured air sac is.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ruptured-air-sac-subcutaneous-emphysema.1432594/

There's quite a few youtube videos on ruptured air sacs, look them up. This one shows air around the head and throat.

Back
Top Bottom