Quail with Crop infection

stinbr

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Hello all,
I have a 1 year old, otherwise healthy quail that just came home from the Avian Vet. yesterday. She was diagnosed with a crop infection. She is very ill. Started out with the usual ill bird symptoms: puffed up, a bit slow, etc. What alarmed me is that her faced looked wet and dirty. I isolated her, started her on Tetracycline (no effect at all). My vet was out of town, so couldn't be treated until Tuesday. Her mouth was full of bacteria, very little yeast. She has nasal discharge as well. I tried desperately to purchase Albon, but it is highly regulated and cannot be sold at the feed stores anymore. The Vet gave her her first dose of Albon via crop needle, and the remaining doses will be given in her H20, which she is drinking. She is losing weight, not eating and was given a "Guarded" diagnosis with a 30% chance of survival. Cultures are pending, we don't know what we are dealing with. NEVER had this happen to any of my sweet quail. Anyone have an idea of what happened? Nobody else is sick. Please say a prayer for my little girl.

Hello all,
I have a 1 year old, otherwise healthy quail that just came home from the Avian Vet. yesterday. She was diagnosed with a crop infection. She is very ill. Started out with the usual ill bird symptoms: puffed up, a bit slow, etc. What alarmed me is that her faced looked wet and dirty. I isolated her, started her on Tetracycline (no effect at all). My vet was out of town, so couldn't be treated until Tuesday. Her mouth was full of bacteria, very little yeast. She has nasal discharge as well. I tried desperately to purchase Albon, but it is highly regulated and cannot be sold at the feed stores anymore. The Vet gave her her first dose of Albon via crop needle, and the remaining doses will be given in her H20, which she is drinking. She is losing weight, not eating and was given a "Guarded" diagnosis with a 30% chance of survival. Cultures are pending, we don't know what we are dealing with. NEVER had this happen to any of my sweet quail. Anyone have an idea of what happened? Nobody else is sick. Please say a prayer for my little girl.

UPDATE: She was doing a bit better yesterday. Nasal drainage dried up. She was walking around a bit and nibbled on some chopped greens I gave her.

Thank you! I think she needs her ABX: delivered via crop needle rather than suspended in H20, she is progressing slower now than she did initially.

Back
Top Bottom