spiffyvanspot

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Recently my coturnix quail developed a squinty, irritated eye. Now I found his ear covered in a scab-type material with his ear hole clogged. I cleaned the area with saline and applied a little bit of Triple Polysporin, but I didn't want to dig anything out of his ear just in case. My regular avian vet closed the exotics department and I'm terrified and at a loss on what to do. The small piece that did come out of his ear looked solid and kind of squishy.
Here are the before and after photos of cleaning his head. His other eye is completely fine. He is an indoor pet.

Attachments

• 20230424_013027.jpg
    20230424_013027.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230424_014925.jpg
    20230424_014925.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 4
Poor baby. I cannot diagnose your bird, but it could be a sinus infection that has spread from the eye to the ear. Was he sneezing or having any labored breathing? Pus in birds is caseated (firm/hardened) and not liquid like it is in mammals, so that may be what came out of his ear. I'm sorry your local vet no longer sees exotics, it's so hard to find a good avian doctor. Hopefully you were able to find another one nearby. Infections like that can be bacterial or viral, and can be very serious and will likely need medication. Also, some of the respiratory diseases in birds can be passed to humans as well, so make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling him.

Back
Top Bottom