Quail with sore eye, hiding away from others

Thanks so much, I haven’t any but I’ll get some tomorrow...it’s a bank holiday here so everything’s shut this evening. It’s worth a try.

We first noticed this yesterday afternoon but thought we’d see how it goes and see if she was any happier today.

Thanks again for your advice.

The branches were from a small fir-tree bush...that’s similar to cedar. (I’ve just looked it up and I see cedar is toxic for them). Maybe I’ll remove the fir just in case.
Yeah if there's a strong scent to them that might be causing some reaction esp in the sinus like DK says...good luck!

Update.

She’s still alive, and there’s been no more blood on her beak but both her eyes look very swollen now.

I’ve been syringing water into her mouth every now and again. She seems to be taking a bit of it. I’ve tried giving her softened food too but I don’t think she’s having much of anything.

She’s definitely scratching her eyes. And looks like her wings are drooping a bit too.

She does seem a bit brighter though and is walking around her cage a bit, rather than just standing in one place like she was before.

Fingers crossed she’s on the mend.

Attachments

• 20B91E84-921E-4EBE-83F0-001B8F3E9503.jpeg
    20B91E84-921E-4EBE-83F0-001B8F3E9503.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 4FCE78A9-243D-469B-893D-FAE3CE50CB9C.jpeg
    4FCE78A9-243D-469B-893D-FAE3CE50CB9C.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 15
If she were my girl, I'd mix some of her normal feed with enough unsweetened yogurt to make a crumbly-mash, and if you have poultry vitamin powder, I'd lightly sprinkle some of that into the mix. It would give her a tasty treat that will be a nutrition boost and easy enough to get a decent mouthful without too much effort on her part. Gotta be tough to get a bite when you can't see your food. That looks like someone's bullying her, but she may have gotten sick and subsequently got picked on; no telling which came first. Birds will pick on a weak, injured or sick flock member, sometimes without mercy.
Old forum post about quails with eye infections and what to do for it here, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/eye-infection.1204360/

Update.

She’s still alive, and there’s been no more blood on her beak but both her eyes look very swollen now.

I’ve been syringing water into her mouth every now and again. She seems to be taking a bit of it. I’ve tried giving her softened food too but I don’t think she’s having much of anything.

She’s definitely scratching her eyes. And looks like her wings are drooping a bit too.

She does seem a bit brighter though and is walking around her cage a bit, rather than just standing in one place like she was before.

Fingers crossed she’s on the mend.

Wait, did I miss something—what happened to the tip of this bird's beak? They were whole in the first set of pictures...

Have you stared her on any sort of medication yet?

Wait, did I miss something—what happened to the tip of this bird's beak? They were whole in the first set of pictures...
Have you stared her on any sort of medication yet?
She’s not looking well at all this morning, I’ve separated her off from the others as she had a lot of blood on her beak so it could be fighting. ...
Yeah, timestamp Tuesday 4:44am

Hard to tell if that's serious bruising and swelling or infection but it LOOKS LIKE infection, and since the cure won't kill her, I'd put her on antibiotics as soon as possible. I prefer medicines that are added to water and withholding any other water sources until the course of treatment is complete, especially with quail as they can literally die from over-handling. Baytril if you can get it, generic name is enrofloxacin 10mg daily x7 days. If that's not available danofloxacin 10mg daily x7 days or marbofloxacin 5mg daily x 7 days (notice half as much marbofloxacin is used, don't want you overdosing your girl). No telling which, if any of these are available, if the store says you need a prescription for these or that they're not available, explain that your girl needs antibiotics for infection of unknown origin in her eyes, and ask what they have available without a prescription that would treat her. (Being a bit vague here will often get you a more broad-spectrum antibiotic).

Yes I’ve got antibiotics for her now. This is day2 of giving them to her mixed into her drinker and as I don’t think she’s eating/drinking on her own I have been syringing from her drinker into her mouth every hour.

I am nervous that so much handling (well I’m not handling her as such...just reaching into her cage) might kill her, but it’s the only way I can see of getting her to drink.

Thanks again for all your advice. I’ll let you know how she gets on.

Back
Top Bottom