quail?

ejtrout31

Crowing
Aug 13, 2018
Deer River Minnesota
hi i am thinking of getting quail for the county fair i dont need top quality my first time. what size pen do i need and do i need more then one? how many should i start with? where can i find quail for sale? what breed is cold hardy? what kind of cage do i need to transport them in. Thank you in advance.

Well what breed are you planning one getting? Coturnix quail are probably the easiest to keep and raise, I think they also lay the most eggs. I do not remember the exact requirements for space but I do remember I was surprised to here what a little amount of it the required. I think it was like 1 or 2 square feet per bird, don't quote me on that though.

Well what breed are you planning one getting? Coturnix quail are probably the easiest to keep and raise, I think they also lay the most eggs. I do not remember the exact requirements for space but I do remember I was surprised to here what a little amount of it the required. I think it was like 1 or 2 square feet per bird, don't quote me on that though.
thanks my dad had quail and i hope to get some i raise chickens and ducks of all breeds since i was born. but never quail

Check the guidelines for you fair, they might have restrictions on what species you are allowed to show. I can only really comment on Coturnix, as that's what I raise (got my first eggs off eBay and hatched them at home).

Coturnix are domesticated, typically the easiest species to look after. They are relatively cold hardy, and do well as long as you keep the wind and rain/snow off of them. They don't come in different breeds, but they do come in different color morphs (e.g. Pharaoh, Golden, Texas A&M).

Coturnix need the least space of all the commonly kept quail (1 square foot per bird), but will appreciate and use more room if you give it to them. You can keep them in pens on the ground or on a deep litter substrate (or on wire, raised off the ground).

You should keep at least three birds, so the flock isn't destroyed if one bird dies. You can keep all males or all females, or keep both sexes together (with a ratio of at least 3 hens to 1 roo) if you intend to breed them. Keep in mind that if you have more than one roo, you may experience fighting.

Quail are very easy and rewarding to raise. My birds all have distinct personalities and habits, and it's a joy just to watch them. They eat out of my hand and let me pet them while they dust-bathe. Some are more nervous than others, but even my dog can't truly scare them. If you want a pet bird that's beautiful, relatively tame, and lays eggs almost all spring and summer, Coturnix are a good choice.

Check the guidelines for you fair, they might have restrictions on what species you are allowed to show. I can only really comment on Coturnix, as that's what I raise (got my first eggs off eBay and hatched them at home).

Coturnix are domesticated, typically the easiest species to look after. They are relatively cold hardy, and do well as long as you keep the wind and rain/snow off of them. They don't come in different breeds, but they do come in different color morphs (e.g. Pharaoh, Golden, Texas A&M).

Coturnix need the least space of all the commonly kept quail (1 square foot per bird), but will appreciate and use more room if you give it to them. You can keep them in pens on the ground or on a deep litter substrate (or on wire, raised off the ground).

You should keep at least three birds, so the flock isn't destroyed if one bird dies. You can keep all males or all females, or keep both sexes together (with a ratio of at least 3 hens to 1 roo) if you intend to breed them. Keep in mind that if you have more than one roo, you may experience fighting.

Quail are very easy and rewarding to raise. My birds all have distinct personalities and habits, and it's a joy just to watch them. They eat out of my hand and let me pet them while they dust-bathe. Some are more nervous than others, but even my dog can't truly scare them. If you want a pet bird that's beautiful, relatively tame, and lays eggs almost all spring and summer, Coturnix are a good choice.
thank you

@le_bwah has given you some good pointers. If hatching from eggs, eBay and Craigslist are usually a good place to start, a better way is to find a local breeder. Shipping is hard on eggs, local pickup is much better when it comes to hatching eggs. A breeder usually has juvenile birds for sale as well as eggs.
I have raised all the species of quail, except Mearns quail. My preference is Mexican Speckled Bobwhite quail, which is a color mutation of the Bobwhite. My experince with them has been their alot tamer/calmer than Northern Bobwhites. I raise them on wire, the pen is 3' x 8' x 17" and I can run 10 to 15 quail comfortably. Come spring time, I pair them up and put them in breeding pens. I'm in South Texas, so I don't have to worry about cold weather that much, usually the lowest will be 25°F and they do fine, as long as you keep drafts off the birds.
If you raise them on the ground, you will want the enclosure to be covered to keep rain, snow out of the pen. Cold, wet, muddy conditions are not good for quail. They can handle the cold but not all 3 at the same time or for along time.
As far as a carrier for taking to shows. Cutter Supply sells transport boxes, their wooden construction, last for years. HTH

Back
Top Bottom