Queen Victoria wont eat or drink

Pics
So this is her poop this morning.
A6B17104-7365-4E85-B174-74B089F19631.jpeg

She is more alert and ate a little egg and drank a little water with probiotics. Then she started panting again so I gave her another baby aspirin. That calmed the panting down last night. It has been over 8 hrs since the last one.

What I thought was interesting was her beginning to pant after she ate and drank. @TwoCrows @Eggcessive does that sound significant to you?

Okay, after all that waiting, turns out my veterinarian does not see chickens. They were sorry they didn't call me back yesterday. :rant Time is always of the essence when a chicken is sick. The best I can find at the moment is a veterinarian that will send a fecal float test out to find out if anything shows up there, but as far as I know, that will only identify parasites, not infection.

What I need to know is if this is bacterial or yeast, so I know how to proceed. In the meantime I'll continue with probiotics. I'm afraid to give antibiotics, which I have on hand, because it seems like a yeast infection to me now, and that would be the opposite of what I should do. :confused:

Thanks to everyone for all your input!!!

Okay, after all that waiting, turns out my veterinarian does not see chickens. They were sorry they didn't call me back yesterday. :rant Time is always of the essence when a chicken is sick. The best I can find at the moment is a veterinarian that will send a fecal float test out to find out if anything shows up there, but as far as I know, that will only identify parasites, not infection.

What I need to know is if this is bacterial or yeast, so I know how to proceed. In the meantime I'll continue with probiotics. I'm afraid to give antibiotics, which I have on hand, because it seems like a yeast infection to me now, and that would be the opposite of what I should do. :confused:

Thanks to everyone for all your input!!!
Valerie, look closely at her poop. Are there a lot of air bubbles in it? This may indicate a yeast infection, as the yeasts consume food in the tract, they grow just like bread yeast with air bubbles.

The painting sure sounds like fever to me.

The dark stool however could mean some sort of toxicity like zinc or lead poisoning. It doesn't look like old blood to me. I know in Quail, if poop is ashy grey, its usually a type of Enteritis. I know that you're had a ton of rain up there and were using Corid to prevent Coccidiosis. Enteritis in chickens goes hand in hand with Coccidiosis. Almost always when Cocci are present, some form of even the smallest of Enteritis is present.

All this being said, I am starting to lean towards Enteritis, which would cause fever.

If you have any bacitracin, penicillin or even tyrosine on hand? That first one is probably the best in this case. https://www.jefferspet.com/products/bmd-soluble-solu-tracin-200-4-1oz

The Copper that you ordered will help well tame it down as well until this stuff comes in. Copper Sulfate can be used against both yeast and Enteritis in poultry.

Valerie, look closely at her poop. Are there a lot of air bubbles in it? This may indicate a yeast infection, as the yeasts consume food in the tract, they grow just like bread yeast with air bubbles.

The painting sure sounds like fever to me.

The dark stool however could mean some sort of toxicity like zinc or lead poisoning. It doesn't look like old blood to me. I know in Quail, if poop is ashy grey, its usually a type of Enteritis. I know that you're had a ton of rain up there and were using Corid to prevent Coccidiosis. Enteritis in chickens goes hand in hand with Coccidiosis. Almost always when Cocci are present, some form of even the smallest of Enteritis is present.

All this being said, I am starting to lean towards Enteritis, which would cause fever.

If you have any bacitracin, penicillin or even tyrosine on hand? That first one is probably the best in this case. https://www.jefferspet.com/products/bmd-soluble-solu-tracin-200-4-1oz

The Copper that you ordered will help well tame it down as well until this stuff comes in. Copper Sulfate can be used against both yeast and Enteritis in poultry.
I have bacitracin, but it's an ointment. I don't have penicillin or tyrosine, but I'm heading to TSC and the Farm Store to see if they have that or the copper sulfate.

Thanks so much for all your help!!! You just might be saving her life!

Back
Top Bottom