Question about breed. Five toes?

ThomsonCentennialFarm

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Holliday, Missouri
I got a batch of 28 chicks from McMurray Hatchery, the Duke's Mixture. In it I got what I thought were six Barred Rock chicks. Five of these chicks are definitely BR's (four roos, one pullet). It's the last one I'm not sure about. The comb is showing pullet, and the feathers are darker with minimal white barring, which would indicate pullet. Featherwise she appears to be a BR.

But, she is tiny, about half the size of the other chicks, feathering out more slowly, AND she has five toes. She doesn't have a crest or beard, no silkie feathers, she has a single comb and her legs have a black wash down the front.

Is she just a BR with an anomaly of five toes, a cross somewhere along the line that came through because she's just hatchery quality? Or something else? I'm really just curious, assuming my sexing is correct, she will join my other layers. If not, he'll likely go to freezer camp.
wink.png

Thanks.
yippiechickie.gif

I discovered last week that two of my bantam cochins, who had suspicious poofy heads, have extra toes, and hands down it seems to be agreed that that means a silkie in the woodpile at one point in that chickens heritage.

It is common with hatcheries when it comes to bantam Cochins, I'm assuming you've got another anomaly.

I once got a few free frizzle roosters, bantam Cochins, and ALL of them had five toes. I think they purposefully cross it in, but are too careless or poor of breeders to get rid of the remaining traits.

Also, when buying "frizzles," they usually are frizzled Cochins but most have Silkie in them, and that doesn't matter too much since it is a "frizzle," not an actual breed.

But beyond that, you're not alone. I once ordered several Brahmas from McMurray - One ended up with light feathered shanks, a single comb, completely different body shape, and completely different temperament and voice. Pretty sure someone threw a Columbian Rock in there.

There is 5 breeds with 5 toes -----

Dorkings------Come Single and Rose Comb, Clean Legged,
Houdans------Come V-Combed, Clean Legged and Pinkish White Skin
Faverolles-----Come Single Combed, Feather Legged, White Skin, and Beard
Sultans--------Come V-Combed, Feather Legged, Beard, Crest and Slate Blue Legs
Silkie-----------Come Walnut Combed, Feather Legged, Beard, Crest and Black skin

With out a picture it is going to be hard to say what breed or combination of breed it could be.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom