Question about mixing feeds..?

Yes, I know. That was the intend. They love it that way. I give it to them warm when it's cold at night.
P.S. I mixed some hot water with some tonight when I closed their coop and they went crazy for it. They don't want to go into the coop since they got the extra light in there, so I've been luring them into the coop with the warm food. Works every time!
I should also say that i live in a pretty moderate climate. so, heating up the water past freezing or warm food isn’t really a concern. it’s unusual for us to get snow in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Even if the bedding gets damp, the chickens won’t freeze. i have about 18 sq ft of open screen ventilation plus gable vents open south to north with a fan in a 12x12 coop...prob overkill for our climate. i use heaters in their waters but only because we leave a lot on weekends to ski...and even though i would harvest a chicken...i would NEVER want one to die due to neglect.

I'm in N.C. It has been getting cold enough for the water to freeze. But since I put the red heat lamp in there at night their water doesn't freeze up. There's also plenty of ventilation in there so they don't get too warm.
climate makes a huge difference. where we live, coop door closes automatically 90 min after dark and they are always all in around sunset anyway.

The problem that can occur with whole grain feeds is that some individuals will pick out the yummy stuff and not eat everything, and not get the vitamin/ mineral mix that's a powder in the bag. That's why I prefer a crumble or pelleted feed, so every ingredient is well mixed.
Some people will add water or ferment the whole grain feeds, which takes more effort, and I want things as easy as possible.
Also, make sure you check the mill date on each bag of feed, so you can use it all up within about two months of milling. Some vitamins will be lost over time, and fresh is best!
Mary

I use Purina All Flock and Dumur Layer feed, I set both out in a canister type feeder. They just eat whichever they need for that day. Plus I have a rooster I want to keep him healthy, since he no longer eats mealworms anymore, he just gives it to one of the girls.

Thanks for all the wonderful info! I'll definitely look into an all flock feed, don't want my boys having issues.
I wasn't planning on changing the feed up till they were laying age, but was just wanting to have a plan ready so i can make sure my feed stores carry it.

I used 3 bags of Purina Layena plus Omega 3.
I liked it but dropping Protein from 18% to 16%, 3 of 5 Golden Comets started to feather pick.
Golden Comets are exceptional layers.
You may not experience bad behavior with Brahmas.
I changed back to 18% Protein and they still feather picked.
I had to buy Pinless Peepers and put them on the 3 culprits for 3 weeks.
I switched to Nutrena Hearty Hen 18% that contains Omega 3 for awhile but it was a couple of dollars more than Purina Omega 3.

I now just feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower crumble 18% with Oyster Shells separately.View attachment 2457419
My Hens 28 months old and Pullets 7 1/2 months have never had a Layers feed.View attachment 2457416View attachment 2457418
A photo of eggs from Pullets and Hens.View attachment 2457420
I take a fish oil supplement for my Omega 3. GC
nice eggs! even in my roll outs they aren’t that clean. do you have a dry cleaner?

nice eggs! even in my roll outs they aren’t that clean. do you have a dry cleaner?
No, that's how they are when I collect them most of the time.
20201014_085352_resized.jpg

Except when their pen is muddy from snow melt.
White eggs are ceramic and represent collecting real eggs under above conditions, then eggs will be washed and air dried.
20201019_094348_resized.jpg

GC

use pellet feed...way easier and less waste
I agree. After using the crumbles with mine for 6 months I changed to the pellets. Then I changed back to the crumbles because I wanted to use it with warm water to give them something at night. I should've gotten BOTH, so they could have the pellets in the day and I could use the crumbles at night.

I should also say that i live in a pretty moderate climate. so, heating up the water past freezing or warm food isn’t really a concern. it’s unusual for us to get snow in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Even if the bedding gets damp, the chickens won’t freeze. i have about 18 sq ft of open screen ventilation plus gable vents open south to north with a fan in a 12x12 coop...prob overkill for our climate. i use heaters in their waters but only because we leave a lot on weekends to ski...and even though i would harvest a chicken...i would NEVER want one to die due to neglect.
I'm in N.C. It has been getting cold enough for the water to freeze. But since I put the red heat lamp in there at night their water doesn't freeze up. There's also plenty of ventilation in there so they don't get too warm.

Ok, did some more looking at feeds and came up with these two that looked pretty good. Would mixing these feeds be fine?

Nutrena Naturewise All Flock 20% mixed with Scratch and Peck Grower 17%? Both are complete feeds. I'll of course put out oyster shell when the ladies get closer to laying.

I've already bout a bag of each to see if the chickies like them, and they all gobbled both up like it was candy.

Back
Top Bottom