Question about something one of my chicks had...

EggProductionUnits

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2017
So, back when I got my chicks they were all fine for a week - they got pasty butt but I treated them. Then about two weeks in, the one that had had the worst pasty butt started showing these symptoms: sitting in one place, looking sleepy or asleep, not eating or drinking even when held up to waterer/feeder, and generally just doing nothing. After a few days, it died. None of the others got it, and they grew up to become normal laying hens. Does anyone recognize what this is? We kept the area and brooder clean, in case you were wondering.

Sorry your chick died. After having pasty butt, it likely developed constipation, and that's why it died.

Three weeks ago, I had a baby chick come down with the same symptoms you describe. It hadn't had pasty butt, but I did find out there had been a problem with the chick waterer and it probably was dehydrated.

What I did to treat what I believed to be constipation or impacted crop from lack of enough water to flush its food through its system was to administer oil.

It can be any oil, olive, mineral or coconut. But coconut oil is easiest to get down a baby chick. I take about half a teaspoon of coconut oil in its solid form and break off tiny pieces, pry open the chick's beak, and place them on it's tongue. It will automatically swallow when you do this. I got all half a teaspoon down the chick. 24 hours later it had passed a huge turd, and it started recovering. In another 24 hours it had fully recovered. It is a healthy four-week old today.

Back
Top Bottom