Question about water and freezing temps?

duckins

Songster
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Gladys, Va
We are supposed to have record temps tonight of 5 f with wind chill -20f the wind is supposed to gust 20-30 mph next 24hrs tommorrows high 16f so im not letting them have as much free range and no swimming. I have my run covered and bedded heavy. I run heat lamps when needed which is not often you no how ducks are lol nothing's ever 100% for sure but I have heat lamps secure. My main concern tonight is their water buckets which are heated ones forgot the exact temp they want work i think its -20f silly question would that apply to windchill temps? My main question if my buckets want freeze should I still allow them access tonight due to spills around bucket and feet possibly freezing and they love to dip would this be dangerous for them in these temps. Love my guys dearly but in my exp I have to be their common sense when it's cold or is it me being to overprotective and they know when their cold? Any advice is appreciated to help my babies and ease one duck moms nerves.

We are supposed to have record temps tonight of 5 f with wind chill -20f the wind is supposed to gust 20-30 mph next 24hrs tommorrows high 16f so im not letting them have as much free range and no swimming. I have my run covered and bedded heavy. I run heat lamps when needed which is not often you no how ducks are lol nothing's ever 100% for sure but I have heat lamps secure. My main concern tonight is their water buckets which are heated ones forgot the exact temp they want work i think its -20f silly question would that apply to windchill temps? My main question if my buckets want freeze should I still allow them access tonight due to spills around bucket and feet possibly freezing and they love to dip would this be dangerous for them in these temps. Love my guys dearly but in my exp I have to be their common sense when it's cold or is it me being to overprotective and they know when their cold? Any advice is appreciated to help my babies and ease one duck moms nerves.
My heated buckets are all out side under roofing but will be exposed to wind chills they are saying here of -30 so it will be interesting to see how they hold up, since I've been using heated buckets for 4 winter now I don't think they have been in these kinds of temps. I would not have buckets inside any building though even heated ones. I doubt I have eased your mind much though sorry.

Last edited:
My heated buckets are all out side under roofing but will be exposed to wind chills they are saying here of -30 so it will be interesting to see how they hold up, since I've been using heated buckets for 4 winter now I don't think they have been in these kinds of temps. I would not have buckets inside any building though even heated ones. I doubt I have eased your mind much though sorry. 

So your taking your water away? I am considering the same just not sure felt line feed and water would help keep them warm. How long can they be without water?

So your taking your water away? I am considering the same just not sure felt line feed and water would help keep them warm. How long can they be without water?
Mine go in at around 3:30 their choice and are let out around 7:15 am so they are without water that long this time of year, always have been since around 3 weeks old. I usually give a big helping of whole corn early afternoon mixed with dried mealworms and BOSS to keep them going over night. I don't use any heat lamps either. They will all be asleep and cuddled onto them selves so they will be fine. I will keep the buckets plugged up they will just be outside, if they are frozen in the morning I'll use hot water to thaw them out about all we can do.

I round up my ducks into their houses at 4 p.m. and they dont have access to water in their houses. I have kept ducks for many years and seen them through from hatching to old age using this method. As long as they have dry, predator-proof housing, plenty of good food and access to clean water during the day they will thrive.

Thank you all for the advice I'm taking feed and water away tonight and bedded heavy i will hope for the best.

duckins, I wonder how your ducks are getting on, I hope all is well for everyone over there dealing with this terrible extreme weather.

Me too duckins, it's miserable outside, -2 with wind chills of -30 my ducks are Muscovy's and I worry about their fleshy faces they have never been in temps this cold before. I have plenty of houses for everyone but not set up to have food and water inside, never have had to. Might have to do some rethinking for next winter, haven't been out yet to see how well the heated buckets have held up with these extremes. Hope yours are doing fine duckins.

Heated buckets held up but I covered them last night so they wouldn't play in it and possibly end up with frozen feet and took feed away. Went out this morn some of my crested are acting strange shivering a bit and a little uncoordinated opened water and feed up everyone drank and huddled back up. Hoping their just cold will monitor closely not really wanting to bring indoors for fear of more harm then good. It's crazy all had access to heatlamps and only 4 runners took advantage. Hope all yours are well.

Me too duckins, it's miserable outside, -2 with wind chills of -30 my ducks are Muscovy's and I worry about their fleshy faces they have never been in temps this cold before. I have plenty of houses for everyone but not set up to have food and water inside, never have had to. Might have to do some rethinking for next winter, haven't been out yet to see how well the heated buckets have held up with these extremes. Hope yours are doing fine duckins.
Sounds like you are really feeling the cold Miss Lydia and others. Sounds like you all are doing the best you can to care for the kids. Will pray this cold snap comes and goes quickly!!

Back
Top Bottom