question about what to put in the water for baby chics

jolenep

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
day 1 we used water with electrolytes and probiotic and the 6 chicks are still drinking this from a water feeder that they pick at
day 2 they are still drinking the small dispenser of mix. don't want to throw it away. can we keep the gallon container we mix
and give it to them later. I know we are suppose to switch to plain water soon. what do we do with the old mix not used and
when do we introduce just plain water?

day 1 we used water with electrolytes and probiotic and the 6 chicks are still drinking this from a water feeder that they pick at
day 2 they are still drinking the small dispenser of mix. don't want to throw it away. can we keep the gallon container we mix
and give it to them later. I know we are suppose to switch to plain water soon. what do we do with the old mix not used and
when do we introduce just plain water?

I start out with plain water---where you get that stuff you talking about??? LOL I know, I Know, But---I just don't use it.

I am starting my chicks tomorrow. This is my third round of babies since
moving to my little homestead in 98. I use probiotics and electrolytes in
the water. A mix like this should be changed out once a day. They will
not drink a whole gallon, so try mixing half a gallon or less, depending
how many chicks you have. Remember if you are using a heat lamp
even if the water fount is not right under it, the brooder is very warm
and they need fresh mix every day. I will do this for the first week
and gets them off to a good start. Hope this helps answer your question.
I got my chick probiotics and electrolytes at Tractor Supply. It comes
as a strip of 3 separate packages, each will make a gallon .

I always start baby chicks with 1 tsp. organic apple cider vinegar to 1 qt. of water. Read something about it on Backyard Chickens when my first batch got pasty butts. Never had a pasty butt since in 8 years. Still give it to the big girls sometimes when I think about it. Good luck with your chicks..

I always start baby chicks with 1 tsp. organic apple cider vinegar to 1 qt. of water. Read something about it on Backyard Chickens when my first batch got pasty butts. Never had a pasty butt since in 8 years. Still give it to the big girls sometimes when I think about it. Good luck with your chicks..

What she said!
thumbsup.gif

Being a heat lamp in mentioned---for any brooder set-up----Only one end of your brooder should be heated---water and feed should be on the unheated end----chicks Need the unheated end to be able to cool down. If your whole brooder is real warm----its set-up wrong.

Just to clear up what I mentioned above------that I do not use the "stuff" in the water is because I do not feel I need it. Pasty butt is something I rarely have a problem with and I rarely have chicks to die. If I felt I needed it I would for sure use it---I am no rookie at this---I have hatched around 10,000 chicks in the just the last 3 or so years, running as many as 25 brooders at one time. I hatched chicks way back probably before they ever came up with all this stuff for the water. If my many, many broody hens can raise nice healthy chicks with out add things to their babies water etc----I can duplicate that in my brooders---so far it has been working great. BUT If you feel you need it---please use it.

Back
Top Bottom