Question about your head of the flock?

Hi! Im really curious who is the head of your flock?
Is it a rooster or a hen?
Is it the big rooster, or the angry little one?
Please let me know!
Well the head of my hens is named Matilda and she is so bossy. She is always the first to screech her freinds to safety. She gets along with the o
20211118_181001.jpg
20210825_183445.jpg
thers really well and is sweet to people. She is a RIR. And will fight anything like are small dog for the tarp on top of run lol she amazing.she also loves snuggling with my big st.bernard she is sweet and alert. What about yours who the head hen or rooster?

Well the head of my hens is named Matilda and she is so bossy. She is always the first to screech her freinds to safety. She gets along with the oView attachment 2940619View attachment 2940624thers really well and is sweet to people. She is a RIR. And will fight anything like are small dog for the tarp on top of run lol she amazing.she also loves snuggling with my big st.bernard she is sweet and alert. What about yours who the head hen or rooster?
She is gorgeous, she really does have that bossy look.
My head of the flock is my 8 month old brahma.
Even tough i had 3 older roosters (now gone) he still was the chief.
It may be his size, 20+ inch in height and around 7 or 8 pounds.
He was just special from the start, and now my other brahma cockerels dont stand a chance against him cause he is just bigger than them too.

Sneezy (the hatching named for the seven dwarves and S White), aka "Pretty Boy", is my current head of flock. Oldest Rooster, very gentle with the hens, good predator awareness, waits on the girls to eat (mostly) before going in to feed himself. He's about a year old now, has maybe 6 months left, likely fewer, before I remove him from the flock. He has lots of children running around already, and some traits I don't want to reinforce in the flock.

1640562247989.png

"Big Barred" from the next hatching is larger, though younger, and subordinate. Papa had the (common) barring gene, mama was a (Dark) Brahma for the pattern gene. This one got size from the Brahma half, without the slow growth, and will likely be kept thru most of the coming year.
1640563193593.png

I also have "Phoenix Blue" (a lot like Pretty Boy, but much more crimson on top, and the blue gene giving him a decidedly grey bottom) who is smaller and less well behaved. He's on the freezer camp list right now.

I've a bird whose name I need to look up of similar size to Pretty Boy, more crimson on top, all red on bottom. He's currently warring with Phoenix Blue for position, and not gentle with the girls, but has excellent predator awareness. He's likely taking Blue's place, and if he calms some, Pretty Boy's, as well. He also has two siblings of near identical coloration, but not as good body condition - they are on the freezer camp list as well.

Hi! Im really curious who is the head of your flock?
Is it a rooster or a hen?
Is it the big rooster, or the angry little one?
Please let me know!
Not allowed to have Roosters where I live so the head of my flock is a hen named Millie. She is super friendly with me and makes sure all the other hens are in line. She runs a tight coop for sure. She's the Black Star with the silver chest feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_7256.JPG
    IMG_7256.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6764.JPG
    IMG_6764.JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 1
I'm not currently sure who is head.

Ludwig, the 7-month Black Langshan cockerel is stepping up (and I do see some fertile eggs even though I haven't seen him mate successfully), but not all the adult hens are ready to let him lead.

The hen pecking order has been shaken up with adults starting to molt and pullets coming into lay. I *think* that Lickety currently holds top status.

Sneezy (the hatching named for the seven dwarves and S White), aka "Pretty Boy", is my current head of flock. Oldest Rooster, very gentle with the hens, good predator awareness, waits on the girls to eat (mostly) before going in to feed himself. He's about a year old now, has maybe 6 months left, likely fewer, before I remove him from the flock. He has lots of children running around already, and some traits I don't want to reinforce in the flock.

View attachment 2940639

"Big Barred" from the next hatching is larger, though younger, and subordinate. Papa had the (common) barring gene, mama was a (Dark) Brahma for the pattern gene. This one got size from the Brahma half, without the slow growth, and will likely be kept thru most of the coming year.
View attachment 2940675
I also have "Phoenix Blue" (a lot like Pretty Boy, but much more crimson on top, and the blue gene giving him a decidedly grey bottom) who is smaller and less well behaved. He's on the freezer camp list right now.

I've a bird whose name I need to look up of similar size to Pretty Boy, more crimson on top, all red on bottom. He's currently warring with Phoenix Blue for position, and not gentle with the girls, but has excellent predator awareness. He's likely taking Blue's place, and if he calms some, Pretty Boy's, as well. He also has two siblings of near identical coloration, but not as good body condition - they are on the freezer camp list as well.
Do you know if the brahma size comes in full? And does it matter if its half hen, in regards of height and weight?
In the sense that i heard that in order for full size a offspring needs to have the brahma rooster gene.

Back
Top Bottom