question on color genetics

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
hello,
I have a question about a silkie who is dark blue in color and was from an accidental mixing of a white rooster and a splash hen. I know the recessive white can hide any color but the white gene in general confuses me a bit. If this blue chick was used for breeding in the future would it likely breed as if it was a black white split bird producing black unless bred to another black /white split which could result in a white chick. 50% of those non white chicks possibly being blue. I have a few black and few splash hens and if this blue chick is a male he would be the only male I have from the white rooster as he recently passed away. Would love to be able to use him on those black and splash hens if he will breed predictably. of course he is still young and may not be breeding material but the possibility got my curiosity perked about what he could produce

You are correct. Bred to the black and splash hens, he will breed as you expect blue will.
However, some of his offspring may also carry the white gene.
You were lucky that white was solid black under the recessive white gene, allowing you to get solid colored offspring.

You are correct. Bred to the black and splash hens, he will breed as you expect blue will.
However, some of his offspring may also carry the white gene.
You were lucky that white was solid black under the recessive white gene, allowing you to get solid colored offspring.
Thank you, there might be hope for me to get a grasp of the color genetics after all, lol.

Back
Top Bottom