Question on eggs

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
We have two hens who’ve been laying eggs none are fertile we are sure of and niether have been sitting on them so we’ve decided why not eat them? But my question is how long is an egg good for eating after it’s been laid? I’m not referring to how long they’re good after going in the fridge I’m referring to how long they’re good for eating while still in the nesting box, I hope this makes sense, we just don’t wanna have to throw them out if they *are* good so I figured I’d find out for myself before considering eating them, they’ve been in the nesting box for maybe a week or two and haven’t been washed etc I just left them in the boxes, if they aren’t good for how long they’ve been in there to eat I’ll throw them out but I was curious if they were still edible

Ps I dunno if I’m in the right thread so I apologize if I made my post in the wrong one,,

We have two hens who’ve been laying eggs none are fertile we are sure of and niether have been sitting on them so we’ve decided why not eat them? But my question is how long is an egg good for eating after it’s been laid? I’m not referring to how long they’re good after going in the fridge I’m referring to how long they’re good for eating while still in the nesting box, I hope this makes sense, we just don’t wanna have to throw them out if they *are* good so I figured I’d find out for myself before considering eating them, they’ve been in the nesting box for maybe a week or two and haven’t been washed etc I just left them in the boxes, if they aren’t good for how long they’ve been in there to eat I’ll throw them out but I was curious if they were still edible

Ps I dunno if I’m in the right thread so I apologize if I made my post in the wrong one,,
Depends on the temperature of the nesting box area. IF it is room temperature it can last 1 to 2 weeks. It is best if you do an egg fresh test which is where you subdue eggs in water and see if it sinks or slightly floats. Floating means not fresh, even just a little floating. Sinking, as you may have guessed means fresh.

Depends on the temperature of the nesting box area. IF it is room temperature it can last 1 to 2 weeks. It is best if you do an egg fresh test which is where you subdue eggs in water and see if it sinks or slightly floats. Floating means not fresh, even just a little floating. Sinking, as you may have guessed means fresh.
Okay I’ll try that sinking floating test thank you! My eggs are in room temp so they should be fine on that part

Float test only tells you age of the egg, not if it's "good" or not. You already know the age of eggs involved. Best to crack them into a cup one at a time, and use eyes/nose to determine if there's anything amiss.

In your case they're likely good as long as you haven't had extremely hot or cold temperatures.

Even if you're hoping for a hen to go broody, best to use fake eggs for that, and collect real eggs daily.

Float test only tells you age of the egg, not if it's "good" or not. You already know the age of eggs involved. Best to crack them into a cup one at a time, and use eyes/nose to determine if there's anything amiss.

In your case they're likely good as long as you haven't had extremely hot or cold temperatures.

Even if you're hoping for a hen to go broody, best to use fake eggs for that, and collect real eggs daily.
I’ll be sure to smell check them when I use them then, and we are eventually gonna get some fake eggs we just haven’t gotten there yet

Going to reiterate.....
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

Back
Top Bottom