Question on hatching quail and chicks

ok. 3 are out. had to assist the 3rd one a bit (first one pipped since it was a while since it had pipped and nothing and was looking a bit shrink wrapped. it is out and drying off and moving around great.

I have 2 others that pipped about 26 hrs ago. nothing going on with them. Should I open the pip a bit and see if still alive? it is 9pm here so heading to bed in a couple hours so if I wait till morning it will be over 36 hrs....

@Patiocoturnix
Try candling first.

Ok but at what point do I try to assist?
This is a tough one. You don't want to assist until it's been pipped for at least 24 hours. Keep in mind that if the chick needs assistance, there is a high chance that there is something wrong with it and it will either die or need to be culled. This is why many people will not assist at all.

I have assisted, but I would say that 25% or less make it .

This is a tough one. You don't want to assist until it's been pipped for at least 24 hours. Keep in mind that if the chick needs assistance, there is a high chance that there is something wrong with it and it will either die or need to be culled. This is why many people will not assist at all.

I have assisted, but I would say that 25% or less make it .
They have been pipped for about 27 hrs or so. I candled and they are still moving. I have had to assist a couple chicken chicks and they have made it and had no issues. But I am clueless on quail

They have been pipped for about 27 hrs or so. I candled and they are still moving. I have had to assist a couple chicken chicks and they have made it and had no issues. But I am clueless on quail
The process will be pretty much the same, I believe. Carefully peel back the shell, be careful not to tear any veins. Seriously, though, they often have trouble hatching for reasons.

Sorry I just saw this but you can wait it out or assist if you do assist make sure you do not tear any veins or if you see blood put it back on the incubator. Hope it all went/goes well.

Sorry I just saw this but you can wait it out or assist if you do assist make sure you do not tear any veins or if you see blood put it back on the incubator. Hope it all went/goes well.
thanks. I had just opened a bit around the beak to check. still saw veins so back in they went for the night. figured they would hatch overnight. They didn't.... so like 8 hrs later (this morning) I went to start a zip line for them and think I still see some blood and looks like they are STILL chewing??? so back in they went. not sure why these 2 are taking so long since they pipped about 36 hrs ago? I have to leave in about 2 hrs and won't be home for probably at least 6 hrs if not longer.... so guess I will peek again in a bit before I go and see what is up. If they still seem to be chewing or I see veins then they will go back in and see what happens while Iam gone.....

thanks. I had just opened a bit around the beak to check. still saw veins so back in they went for the night. figured they would hatch overnight. They didn't.... so like 8 hrs later (this morning) I went to start a zip line for them and think I still see some blood and looks like they are STILL chewing??? so back in they went. not sure why these 2 are taking so long since they pipped about 36 hrs ago? I have to leave in about 2 hrs and won't be home for probably at least 6 hrs if not longer.... so guess I will peek again in a bit before I go and see what is up. If they still seem to be chewing or I see veins then they will go back in and see what happens while Iam gone.....
I would just leave them then they might hatch they might not well see hopefully it goes good but sometimes they take super long after piping to hatch.

I would just leave them then they might hatch they might not well see hopefully it goes good but sometimes they take super long after piping to hatch.
One is out. Other still had veins so is hanging out and hopefully stays alive till I get home or is out when I get home.

well I have 5. I lost one last night but think because of something I did. :( But that last one to hatch was having a rough time. The veins never fully absorbed but it was still alive and getting very crunchy. I left it in there to absorb for about 8-10 hrours and it was no longer chewing and I could tell it was weaker. So just did my best to get it out of the shell. There was minimal bleeding but there was some. The chick was all crusty so I had to give it a bath. It wouldn't open its eyes and wasn't sure if they were stuck shut etc was very weak. I washed it all up and put it back in the incubator. Then gave it some nutridrench a few times. about 9 hrs later it was still just flopping around the incubator so I put it in a cup so it wouldn't flop around and went to bed hoping for the best. Woke up this morning and it is alive, eyes are open and it is walking aroung. So it is now in the brooder with the others.

Back
Top Bottom