Question regarding Ameraucana/Easter Egger hen

jazzymbf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
My girl was hatched March 1, 2014 along with my barred rock. The barred rock has been laying for a couple weeks now, along with one other hen (possibly one of my wyandottes), but Im wondering if my other hen will start soon. She doesnt seem to have the same behavioral characteristics as my barred rock. All of my girls are on a layer feed with oyster shell supplemented.

Just wondering if its something someone else has come across with this breed? Or if there is something I can do?

My girl was hatched March 1, 2014 along with my barred rock. The barred rock has been laying for a couple weeks now, along with one other hen (possibly one of my wyandottes), but Im wondering if my other hen will start soon. She doesnt seem to have the same behavioral characteristics as my barred rock. All of my girls are on a layer feed with oyster shell supplemented.

Just wondering if its something someone else has come across with this breed? Or if there is something I can do?

Different birds can mature at different rates - is she showing any physical signs of readiness such as reddening of the comb/face, performing a submissive squat, etc? What "behavioral characteristics" is it that you feel are different between the two birds?
It may be helpful to post a picture of your bird so that we can see how mature she looks at this time.
Ultimately, if one is providing proper nutrition and care all you can "do" is be patient and wait for each bird to mature to the point of lay.

ETA - as an EE she is a cross/mixed breed and without knowing what that other breed(s) may be it makes it difficult to know if she should be a fast or slow maturing bird - does that make sense? For example, she could the result of a blue laying breed with a very slow maturing breed.

Last edited:

This is her. My barred rock hangs around the coop and nesting boxes and often sits in the areas she lays. By submissive squat do you mean when I go to pet her? then yes.

I kind of assumed it may take her time and that she may be some sort of mix, but I just want to be sure Im doing the right thing for her. Thanks!

One thing to consider is that your EE may not lay a blue/green egg- inheritance of the blue egg gene is not a guarantee with them. What color is the other egg you are getting?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom