12x328

Hatching
Oct 4, 2020
Hello all,
I have a question about chickens(obviously)...can they eat large pieces? I tried giving one of mine a grape and she took it from my hand and ate the entire thing in a bite...is that even healthy?? maybe it’s fine but i want to make sure...
thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question!

Chickenman MAN

Chirping
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Hello all,
I have a question about chickens(obviously)...can they eat large pieces? I tried giving one of mine a grape and she took it from my hand and ate the entire thing in a bite...is that even healthy?? maybe it’s fine but i want to make sure...
thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question!
I should think so, but only for squishy foods like grapes. If you give a pumpkin they will peck bits off so that is ok... when I give mine grapes they normally tear at it a bit and then eat it... all good

PioneerChicks

Sunny-side up
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho
My Coop
Welcome to BYC!

When a chicken eats something, the food first goes to the crop, where it is held until it can move into the gizzard. The gizzard has small rocks or grit in it which help the chicken break the food into smaller pieces. It is important because chickens don't have teeth like we do. If your chickens don't free range then it is recommended that you provide grit for them (you can buy it at the store). The food then goes onto the intestines, and out the cloaca (AKA vent and bum). That is a very basic description.

Chickens can eat just about anything that can fit into their mouths, trusting that their is grit in their gizzards. However, long grasses and vegetation should be avoided because they can get tangled in the crop and cause crop problems.

So yes, it is fine that your chicken ate a grape whole. Grapes are a welcome treat in every flock!

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Shhhh.... Don't tell my chickens how stingy I am! When I give them grapes, I cut them into quarters to stretch it out. And to give them more pieces of treats. Why hand out one big piece when it can look like they get more if I give them several little pieces?

Top Bottom